Sunday, March 17, 2024

T-Dub'ing to the Gateway to the Cochise Stronghold

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

Here's last night's sunset:


I went out after breakfast, once temperatures climbed towards the 50s, and rode Yagi, my TW200 to Forest Road (FR) 345 and from it to FR 697.  

This road, was apparently cut to provide access to mines up in the mountains, by Chinese laborers back in the day.  There's a camp (nothing remains but concrete pads where meager cabins had been) for these Chinese laborers.  

I've been up this road before: LINK

The views from the "Gateway" were quite nice though the road was quite technical at points.  Fortunately, I'd learned in the previous trip up this road to air down the pressure on Yagi's tires.  Again, this move made riding the loose rock and boulders manageable to one with my lack of skills.


The Gateway






A view of the shelf road leading to the gateway

I made it back to camp with no issues and no dropping of the motorcycle.  So a good ride on somewhat sketchy conditions!

I rested in the afternoon and packed up for displacing towards the BANWR tomorrow.

4 comments:

Steve Williams said...

As others have commented on some of your posts, I too would like to someday explore the history of the Southwest. From the actions and movements of the US Army to the same with the native tribes. And also the more ancient history of human activities in the area.

As I emerge from my final mental gymnastics concerning riding alone in the forests and mountains of central Pennsylvania I found myself wondering whether I would ever be comfortable anymore riding solo where you are. Aside from the concerns about dropping the motorcycle and possible injuries comes the pure tedium along the road of changing a tube, or fixing some other woe.

It's a beautiful landscape. You're fortunate to be able to explore at a pace of your making.

CCjon said...

Doesn't seem to be a level spot for parking the TW, or were you picking the mores scenic spots for stopping?

redlegsrides said...

Steve, riding solo, and off-road in isolated areas...is risky as you well detail. I ride slow so when the tdub wants a nap, it usually not that bad. Believe me, I've turned around more easily these days when confronted with sketchy terrain. if I was smart I wouldn't ride alone...

redlegsrides said...

Not many level spots on that trail, CCjon and yes I was going for the best angles.