Friday, March 08, 2024

Switching from the Texas Two Step to the Senior Shuffle

At Martha's reminder, I realized that I was still traveling/camping in the mode we'd adopted while trying to get visits in while in Texas.  Staying just two days then moving on, something I dubbed the Texas Two Step.

Now I'm slowing things down, spending more time camping at each location for the next few weeks.  This means I'll be here at the Hot Well Dunes longer, not displacing till midweek, next week.  Now engaging Senior Shuffle mode.... 

Did a little bit of sandy riding with Yagi, my 2006 Yamaha TW200 yesterday.  Deep sand still causes me to go into outrigger mode at times but I think I'm now more comfortable riding it.  Lowering the PSI on the tires really helps.

The familiar wind mill, used to draw water up
from the ground, back in the day mostly.


This is where the water from the Hot Wells ends up
before disappearing into the ground.


The modern method to draw water ...  the older
method was more scenic.

The cooler weather ends tonight hopefully for a while.  It should be warmer the next few day, and so I hope to get some dune riding in under calm winds and warm sunshine.

Of course, it's the weekend so there's probably going to be a few OHVs running amuck that I'll have to watch for, but the area is big enough.  

I think I've traced the oil leak on Yagi to the seal where the starter motor mates onto the engine.  I'll be ordering a new seal soon, in the meantime I just cleaned things up and applied a little Yamabond 4 to help seal things up hopefully.



8 comments:

Oz said...

Feels good to slow down and stay in a place a few days. Windmills are so iconic. Growing up my family had one on our farm in TX. I was probably 10 before we got a water pump with pressure tank to replace the windmill.
That water pumped by the windmill was so cold in the summer.

RichardM said...

Two days between travel days is too frequent for me. Two weeks feels more like it…

SonjaM said...

Very cool last pic, Dom. Has a bit of a doomsday touch.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Oz for your comments.

redlegsrides said...

Exactly RichardM!

redlegsrides said...

Danke SonjaM!

CCjon said...

Your photo of the windmill formed a question, do all the old windmill fans turn clockwise when the wind blows?

redlegsrides said...

CCjon, I've seen many windmills and don't recall any of them moving with the wind....most are inop I think and frozen still.