We were riding in Scarlett, my 2014 Ural Patrol. I dropped him off and headed on home by way of the auto parts store where I wanted to pick up some consumables.
Got what I needed, then geared up and went to start the rig. Nada. No lights on the dash, no headlight, no whine of the fuel pump. Sigh. Off came the helmet and riding jacket and then I spent some time doing the basic checks, nothing. Did find a corroded terminal in the fuse panel that was related to the parking lights but not related to the lack of ignition power. The terminal was so corroded, it came apart when I touched it.
Tried swapping out relays, nothing. Found a relay that I'd not been aware of in the headlight bucket but that turned out to be a turn signal relay.
Enough was enough, since I was close to home I just called my insurance company and asked for a tow truck. 1.5 hours or so later, it showed up and we got Scarlett loaded with no issues.
While waiting for the tow truck, I texted a fellow Uralista, Darrell and ran things by him. He thought it was a failed ignition switch as there was a lack of any lights. He described to me the procedure to hot wire the ignition to test but at that point the tow truck had made its appearance.
Couple of miles later, Scarlett was home. I tried the hot wire procedure which involves connecting a jumper wire on the brown wire next to the hot wire on the ignition switch. The other end of the jumper wire goes directly to the battery.
Back side of the ignition switch. You can just barely see
the red wire, which is always hot; and the brown wire
next to it is the one you connect to the battery.
Note: Connect to the wire first, THEN, the battery, you will get some sparks.
Once connected, I turned the key in the ignition switch to the ON position. Dash lights came on, headlight came on and I could hear the fuel pump's whine! I cranked the engine and it of course worked. Sigh.
So, failed ignition switch, easy replacement. Scarlett is still under warranty so I talked to the URAL dealer and Randy's going to order me a replacement, along with a new fuse panel.
At this point, I decided to take apart the ignition switch to see what had broken. I know, I can't leave things well enough alone sometimes.
Dismounted the switch (held in place by a metal ring) and pried up the plastic cover and this is what I saw:
The brass plates on the right sit on top of a small spring,
otherwise they're just loose. Kind of a weird setup, I guess they're
supposed to pivot.
The round contacts on the left had a light coating of grime so I cleaned them off and re-assembled the switch.
I am unsure that it was because I cleaned the contacts or my re-assembling things placed the contacts once again in right position vis-a-vis the brass plates; but the switch worked again once I put it back on the motorcycle!
Tried several times, worked every time. Go figure. Of course, it'll probably fail again so it's good that I have a replacement switch coming under warranty. In the meantime, Scarlett is fully functional again in the meantime.