Monday, March 25, 2024

Checking out Locomotive Rock

I spent part of the morning in Ajo, AZ doing laundry and getting some groceries and supplies.  When I returned and after the lunch hour, I rode to nearby Locomotive Rock to explore it further.  

I would end up walking to as close to the top as one can get without climbing gear and ropes.  Also eventually circumnavigate the rock, getting some exercise in while taking pics:

Locomotive Rock

the "front side" of the rock

in case you wonder what was in the gap
between the two big rocks

View from near top of Locomotive Rock:

Can you see Uma?



back side of the two major boulders 
comprising Locomotive Rock


Ajo Peak on the left, North Ajo Peak on the right

side view of balancing rock

Looks like a machine from the matrix movies

The Ocotillo Cacti are flowering


closer view of Balancing Rock

Black Mountain in the distance as I head back to camp

One last view of Locomotive Rock


Events back home have me returning to Colorado earlier than planned.  More to follow.

6 comments:

CCjon said...

Interesting rock formation.

Nice clean campsite. Do you have a strategy on where or a checklist for orienting the RV when setting up?

redlegsrides said...

CCjon, it's not a formal checklist by any means. First I look for the easiest spot to level the rv within the campsite, then I see where the winds are blowing and try to point the rig into the wind. Sometimes the site is so small that you don't get too much of a choice. Generally though, pointing south is preferable.

Oz said...

Looks like a nice relaxing campground. Great photos of the rock formations

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Oz....

SonjaM said...

The pano shot of the surrounding mountain peaks is awesome. Thanks for getting up there and show us the marvellous view. Cheers, SonjaM

redlegsrides said...

You're welcome, SonjaM. I guess the way I cropped and zoomed does make them look like panos huh.