Saturday, March 16, 2024

Cochise Stronghold T-Dub'ing and a No-Go at Bisbee

I am presently camping on the west side of the Dragoon mountains.  This mountain range is also known as the Cochise Stronghold.

It served as a stronghold for the Apache Indians as a waged war with the United States Army back in the days of Western expansion.  As you can see in the following photos, it was quite the stronghold and I'm guessing pretty inaccessible to US Cavalry troops.  I don't know if any US Infantry was ever deployed but I've my doubts as tactics of the time didn't cover fighting in such rugged terrain.

Thursday, March 14

I went over to Council Rocks, site of some petroglyphs: LINK, but this time just concentrated on landscape pics.

The interesting tall stalks are Soaptree Yucca Plants







The old and the new way to power the well's pump



Sheepshead Peak


Friday, March 15

Dreary day, mostly overcast and high temperature barely 60 degrees!  Stayed inside the VRRV mostly, doing cleaning and reorganizing while listening to audio books and podcasts.

Saturday, March 16

The idea had been to drive the Honda CR-V the 30 miles or so to Bisbee, AZ and check out its offerings.  Things looked pretty crowded as I entered the historic district portion of Bisbee.  Bikers everywhere!  The place was teeming with biker wannabes, it looked to me like a small version of Sturgis.

I left without touring Bisbee.  Some other time.  

And no, I am NOT a biker...back at the beginning I might have gone with being seen as a Rider but those days are gone too.  

Instead, once I returned to the Tombstone area, I checked out a BLM Hunting Preserve SW of the town.  Not bad, saw some spots I could camp at and the best part of course was there was no one there!


Some barely snow-clad mountain peaks were visible in the distance but otherwise, not much in the way of scenery at this location.

I'm not sure when I'll displace from here, either tomorrow or Monday.  I'm waiting to see what the weather will be like.  Pretty good today when the sun is shining but a bit cool when clouds obscure it.



5 comments:

RichardM said...

Bisbee is crowded on the weekends and with Spring break coming up, places will be crowded all week.

redlegsrides said...

I'm hoping the BANWR isn't a popular Spring break destination this coming week, RichardM....

redlegsrides said...

I just checked, RichardM, spring break was this week for Arizona schools of higher learning, and also for the school district in Pima county where the reserve is located so I think I should be okay.

Oz said...

Interesting landscape. Would like to visit and explore the Native American sites and history.

redlegsrides said...

It's interesting stuff, Oz, especially as it connects with the US army back then....at least to me