Tuesday, March 12, 2024

T-Dub'ing to Apache Pass

Yesterday, March 11, I rode Yagi, my Yamaha TW200 over to nearby Apache Pass.

The pass is one of the main routes through the Dos Cabezas (Two Heads) mountain range/wilderness.

The pass is also closely connected to nearby Fort Bowie National Historic Site.  I'd visited the fort before:  LINK.  This trip I elected to check out the pass itself.




As you can see, not much of a pass with today's road conditions but I imagine back in the days of horse and wagons, it was quite the trek.

Not to mention of course, the struggle between the white settlers and the existing Apache tribes living in the area.

As I headed back towards the trailhead, I spotted a sign I'd missed on the previous trip.

Yagi is posed below near the above sign.  I could see how the area would have made a good rest stop for the wagon train but also a good spot for an attack by the Apache.

I returned to the campsite with no further explorations, to rest the day away.


This wind mill is near the entrance to
Happy Camp Canyon Rd.

Oh, in answer to a previous query from CCjon: The wind vanes spin clockwise.

A better view of the rocks...



5 comments:

CCjon said...

Thanks for answering my query on windmill fan direction.

Agreed, that would be a great ambush spot on slow moving wagons.

redlegsrides said...

You're welcome, CCjon. Thanks for your comment.

Steve Williams said...

Compared to some of the passes you've negotiated Apache Pass seems sedate. Hard to image what it must of been like back in the 1870s with only a track and hostile tribes waiting. I puzzle over similar things here in Central Pennsylvania wondering how wagons got through the heavily forested and rock strewn Appalachian mountains in the 1700s. Plus hostile tribes here too at the time.

Yagi seems ready to handle whatever you throw at it.

redlegsrides said...

Steve, the pass was pretty much a snoozer...just packed dirt. Yagi can handle anything I dare throw at it. I'm barely using 30% of its offroad potential. Like you, I worry about injury, and am readily learning to turn around when I see upcoming terrain that "gives me pause".

My next post has an illustration which might help you visualize the imagery of hostile tribes watching settlers invade their territory.

Oz said...

Interesting place. Love the windmills photo. I enjoy theold west history.