Tuesday, March 05, 2024

Hiking to Top of Picacho Mountain

Spent the morning slowly making my way up to the top of Picacho Mountain.  

Though I did stop a few times to catch my breath, it was not a very hard hike up to the 4956 foot height of the tallest point on the mountain.

The orange line marks what I call Rocky Foyer, 
it is the furthest I got to last time I was here.

The green line, of course, is the top of Picacho Mountain.  Picacho means peak in Spanish, so basically, the people who named this mountain called it Peak Mountain.

I estimate it took me slightly over an hour to get to the top.  I found what I believe is called a geocache box.  It contained sundry items such as protein bars.  There was also a paper notebook onto which visitors to the top can put their names.  I did so as well.






The scenery from the top was pretty good but a bit plain as well.  I took several shots but used only these:

A cow, at the second highest point of the mountain...

Can you see Uma, the VRRV?

Someone built a wind shelter out of the rocks

The Organ Mountains from top of Picacho Mtn

Soon, it was time to start heading down.  The going was just as slow as you don't want to slip on loose rocks on the path!

Made it to the rock foyer and spotted a group of six senior couples making their way up to the foyer.  They rested for a bit near me, so I exchanged greetings and continued on my way down.

In front of the "Rock Foyer".

4 comments:

CCjon said...

Congratulations on making it to the picacho... and back down!

redlegsrides said...

Thanks CCjon though it was quite doable , as demonstrated by that group of seniors who went up as I was coming down

SonjaM said...

Well done, Dom. What a spectacular view into a strange and otherworldly scenery. It doesn't look very habitable. Cheers, SonjaM

redlegsrides said...

Definitely not terrain to take lightly,SonjaM... thanks for the comments.