Friday, March 03, 2023

Baja California with the Z's - Days 9 & 10: Warm Days and Repairs Done from Sand Trap Incident

 Thursday, March 02

I did another hike to the beach from our campsite in the early morning.

Found a beached and dilapidated boat on the sand:


A better lit shot of the gazebo in the shelter of the rigs from yesterday's windy conditions!

Spent most of the day working to re-affix the mud guards behind the dually rear tires of Uma, the VRRV.  They gotten ripped off, you may recall, when Uma sank to her axles in a Baja Sand Trap.

It was a bit of a PITA but finally got the plastic mounting boards done, now just have to remount the rubber mat bits.  But, that's for tomorrow.

The day was nice and warm with very little in the way of winds, so very enjoyable otherwise.  I was tired and sore from the repair work, it's very awkward working with the mud guards with the dually tires in place!

Friday, March 03

Another warm and easy breezy day.  I rode, Yagi, my TW200 motorcycle the couple of miles down Highway 5 to take pics of the gatehouse we'd seen before.


It's a shell of a building, still unfinished.  I liked the Old Mission look they gave it, but wonder if they'll ever finish it?

I then rode another couple of miles to the beach to the east of the gatehouse.




Here's a short movie of my traversing down and up the dune upon which the above remnant of a building's foundation is built:

Video at 1.5x speed

I rode back to camp and without too much trouble or time used, finished attaching portions of the rubber matting to the mud guard base plates.

I relaxed and rested the rest of the day away along with Chris and Lori.  It was good to not do much.  Towards the end of the afternoon though, I decided to add to the two small rock cairns we'd found on site.  



One more shot of the above rock cairn, yes that is the lower half of a broken bottle I'd found nearby:

It wasn't much of a sunset tonight, but overall, quite a nice day.

8 comments:

CCjon said...

Last photo, homage to the sun god, loved the sand dunes shoot too.


redlegsrides said...

Thanks CCjon!

RichardM said...

I like the gatehouse photo and the last one. And, I’ve been watching the videos on YouTube.

SonjaM said...

Broken bottle aside I like the last one best. Navigating through the sand seems difficult. I hope your riding doesn't end it Yagi taking a nap.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks RichardM, more to follow hopefully.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks SonjaM, the broken bottle was meant to be a "sparkling jewel" Top the cairn....didn't quite work out. As to Yagi taking a sand nap, it's been close a few times.

Oz said...

Like others have already stated - great photo of the cairn. Your creative eye impresses me. You have a good eye for photos.

redlegsrides said...

Thank you Oz...one gets lucky once in a while....