Friday, March 10, 2023

Baja California with the Z's - Day 17: Now Boondocking near Volcano Coronado

 So, yesterday afternoon, I'd found the trail to get to one of the iOverlander sites published in their app.

When I returned to the campsite on Playa de la Gringa, we quickly decided to do a hasty displacement to get more solitude.  Mind you, the Playa was nice but too many other rigs for our tastes.

Chris Z. rode Yagi, my TW200, to save me the time to get her loaded onto the front rack carrier.  Lori Z. drove Stewie, their Overlander and I led the way with Uma.

I did take two wrong turns, forcing me to turn Uma around in tight quarters but all good in the end.  It was dusk by the time we were parked and the rigs leveled.  Still, no one around for miles, so all good.

This morning, it was a cloudless sunrise but the colors were pretty good anyways:





A little later, after breakfast, I went for a hike along the rocky shoreline towards the south.  

Another iOverlander listed site, not too shabby
though I don't know how easy it is to get to it with Uma

Views of Volcano Coronado


It was a nicely warm day, it brought out lots of wasps to both our rigs.  I tried to draw them away from us and onto some slices of sausage that had water with it with some success:


They really liked the water apparently:


Though worrisome to me, they didn't sting any of us, just buzzed about annoyingly.

Chris Z. decided to do some exploring with his TW200 while I was dealing with the wasps:

When Chris Z. came back, he had me join him with my TW200: Yagi to show me a spot he'd found.


The site was not listed on iOverlander but it was close to another site that was: Campo Coronado.  Of the two sites, the unlisted one seemed best and more secluded.

Here's a shot of the secluded beach site, way in the distance, while I was on the Campo Coronado site:


We returned to camp and while I relaxed the rest of the day away, listening to an audio book and watching the water; Chris Z. did some minor chores on the Overlander.

Dinner was with the Z's ad Chris cooked a package of Marinated Arrachera (Skirt Steak) which proved quite tender and delicious!  Served over white rice and with black beans, it was very tasty.

No comments: