Wednesday, March 01, 2023

Baja California with the Z's- Day 8: Windy Day

Wednesday, March 01

Soon after my first cup of coffee, I did a small hike up a hill near the campsite and checked out our surroundings:


Then, after making it safely down the hill, I decided to see about finding a route to the sea.

Ended up basically following a dry creek bed, meandering my way slowly until I reached the stony beach area.


Telephoto shot of the previous scene




Can you spot Stewie?  Hint: look almost directly dow
from the tallest peak.

I made my way the estimated 1.3 km back to camp, sure that there wasn't a motorable trail back to that piece of that shoreline.

I checked in with the Z's and we decided to explore some roads they'd seen to the south of us.  

Soon, Chris Z. and I were on our Tdubs and motoring along Highway 5 for a couple of miles.  We found the road to explore and about two more miles, were at a big dune front with yet another stone-covered beach.

High winds, which had started blowing back at camp, hit us pretty hard as the terrain was pretty flat!  The only "structure" we found on this stretch of beach was this:

The entrance sported an unfinished gate building, so we figured it had once been some campground project perhaps, but that some hurricane had changed things radically.

We returned to discuss possibly displacing camp to this new location but the uncertainty of it still being private property eventually dissuaded us from moving.

Instead, I moved the VRRV closer to their Overlander to act as a wind block so we could setup the gazebo on the RV's leeward side.


The winds would gain in strength throughout the day but the gazebo did fine after some reinforcement.  As I typed this in the late afternoon, the strong wind gusts continued to rock the VRRV.  It's supposed to be calmer winds tomorrow, I hope the forecast is correct!

Winds shown on myradar app.

2 comments:

SonjaM said...

Circle the wagons! Nice wind protection.

redlegsrides said...

Indeed SonjaM!