Thursday, March 05, 2020

Uraling to Ajo and Area B's southern rock formations.

Another gloriously warm day today in the Barry Goldwater AF Range.

By mid-morning, I was driving Fiona, my '99 Ural Patrol the 11 miles or so to the town of Ajo.  Errands were run, gas obtained for Fiona and groceries for yours truly.

Before I got to Ajo though, AZ 85 goes through a gap in a series of interesting looking rock formations, I just had to stop and get some shots:

The next three shots are rock formations visible from the highway:




The town of Ajo itself seemed neat and tidy for the most part.  It boasts a central square of sorts with a rather nice looking church as its anchor.



Not really a lot to sight see though.  The Ajo History museum wasn't open till Noon and the viewpoint for the open pit mining operation was closed.

Errands accomplished, I drove north back towards to campsite after stopping at Gate #15 to verify that I indeed had the right padlock code to get in later for pictures.

Soon enough, groceries were put away and I was back in the area behind Gate 15 of Area B of the Barry Goldwater AF Range.  It's got a couple of spots for camping but the road has some rough patches and all I could get was 3G cellular signal.  I bet a booster would help perhaps.

You really can't go too far into the range though, the road was closed perhaps two miles in:


Still, plenty of rock formations to pose one's rig in front of as I made my way back towards the gate, detouring to check out a couple of possible campsites.  Nice secluded locations for folks who don't necessarily need Internet access.  Again, the road has some rough patches but if you go slow enough just about any Class C should have no problems.






The afternoon had warmed up rather nicely and I was getting a bit hot in my riding gear so I left the area via Gate 15 and soon enough I was cooling off at my campsite.

The rest of the afternoon was spent working on the wiring for the front cargo rack's driving lights.  Now I can switch them on from inside the URRV while driving; before I had to go outside and push the on/off switch manually.

Tonight's sunset was pretty good:





No comments: