Sunday, March 15, 2020

T-Dubing east of Quartzsite on my last day for this area

Planning on heading towards Yuma, AZ tomorrow I think.

The sunrise wasn't too bad:


This morning, spent it doing some mostly mild T-Dubing in the BLM trails to the east of the town of Quartzsite, basically using the campsite as the center point for travels.

On the first trail I came up short on a steep rocky trail, and decided I'd used up all my luck yesterday so instead I hiked up for a look.

So glad I didn't try it, it was more of those large rocks the BLM is using to fill in these trails as they erode with time.

 Note the trail, way down there at the top of the pic

I hate these rock piles...

Not much in the way of scenery, and I managed to drop Yagi once on a tricky sloping U-turn that I found myself in, unexpectedly.

 see the drag marks?


Managed to trap my right ankle at an awkward angle under the right side of the motorcycle during the fall.  Ouch. 

After a brief panic, took a few breaths and slowly dragged Yagi past the center hump in the trail so there'd be enough room for me to slide my right boot out from under her.  Finally!

No bruises so far as I type this evening so I'm counting myself lucky.  As to Yagi, no damage except for more scratches on her right hard guard and her right mirror along with some scratches to the cargo rack and cargo box as well since that got dragged in the dirt as well.



Once I returned to the main trail junction, I took a few minutes to cool down and take a break along with some pictures.





The right side of my right calf, which had been pinned under the motorcycle, was hurting a little bit at this time so I decided to head on back to camp, getting there shortly after Noon.

The rest of the day was spent resting and reading in the warm afternoon sun.  Pretty relaxing.

The Golden Hour came and it was time for some pictures of the area as the sunset itself would prove rather mild.  (no clouds to speak of)

I shot the next two pics from the top of the URRV:



Then it was posing the motorcycles for their silhouette shots:


One last shot of the sun before it went behind a nearby hill:


8 comments:

Bluekat said...

Be careful out there. 😱

redlegsrides said...

Working on it Bluekat, still learning to pick the best line.

SonjaM said...

I hope there was only male pride hurt in the process, Dom. Take care!

redlegsrides said...

Only male pride this time, must act closer to my age I guess.

Artie & Leinen's Grand Adventure said...

Seeing the dropped bike on facebook led me to look at your blog today. I have time. I may even do a blog myself, today. I am thankful you are alive, and I know you have technology that will alert anyone if you aren’t. Plans with us are ever changing. I canceled my flight to see my grandson, so may be seeing my brother sooner in OK. We have an appointment for the windshield in Arizona April 8, so we’ll be in Casa Grande again. Maybe we’ll see you? Will you be in AZ still? I was just thinking I could go to MIM again, but it will most likely be closed. So glad spring is here. It is so nice sitting outside. Take care, stay healthy, stay safe.

redlegsrides said...

So it took me dropping the bike and posting the picture for you to read my blog eh? Here I thought you were a faithful reader like RichardM but alas.....I’ve no PLB with me anymore, not since the AK trip

RichardM said...

The TW seems to be the more reliable transport but not necessarily getting much further on these trails than the Ural. And only one bike makes venturing on more challenging trails risky.

redlegsrides said...

Actually the T-Dub is getting me much farther usually, but yeah, riding alone means I do have to turnaround, when possible, when things get sketchy