Thursday, March 12, 2020

Rainy Days bring Flood Warnings.....but nice sunsets

Wednesday, March 11

Didn't get much riding done, the day was rainy and with overcast skies.

 A painted rock found at the campsite, left by previous campers

I did take Yagi out for a brief outing to check out the traction on the roads, it wasn't too bad.


I also verified the route to take to Black Mesa, hopefully I'll be able to ride it in dry conditions this weekend.


While wandering the trails near the campsite, posed Yagi by this abandoned "house".


As you can see in the pictures, the heavy overcast skies presaged no sunset views.  So I was surprised by this view from the camper as I sat down to dinner.  I hurriedly setup the tripod and camera:



Thursday, March 12

Even more rain today, accompanied by Flood Watch notices that became Flood Warnings for the central La Paz County area, where I am camped. 

I kept a close eye on the nearby dry creek bed and it would develop flowing water twice today when it would rain the hardest, but never a hazard to the campsite. 

 Before the rains started

 The clouds moved in over the nearby hills


 After the first big rain storm, about mid-morning....flowing water
can be seen in the nearby creek bed


After lunch, the sun shone briefly through the clouds and I rode Fiona around to see the sights after the rain.  Lots of puddles, and one big one in the same spot as on Wednesday.

 Looking west towards California

 That's the I-10 super slab seen as two straight lines leading into the horizon
The town of Quartzsite is visible as well.

 The big puddle I mentioned.  I did cross it of course, and had to 
goose the engine halfway through as the mufflers were under water!

 Double Rainbows

The rain sort of petered out during the late afternoon but clouds continue to roll northward from the south so it remained overcast for the sunset.



There's less of a chance of rain for tomorrow, Friday, and I hope the weather forecast is correct.  It would be nice for the sun to come out and dry out the terrain around here.

4 comments:

CCjon said...

There is something about rain in the desert that is refreshing... breathing life back into the land...

Thanks for sharing this photos.

redlegsrides said...

You’re quite welcome CCjon! I’m ready for some sunny days now....

SonjaM said...

Dramatic skies, Dom. The large puddle doesn't look traversable.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks SonjaM, as to the puddle....it almost wasn’t!