Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Back to Boondocking, Uraling to Ajo, AZ and a Killer Sunset

Tuesday, March 24

I left my father-in-law's place in Sun City, AZ soon after breakfast and after gassing up, I headed south on AZ 85 towards the Barry Goldwater Air Force Range's Area B where I've boondocked before.

It was a warm sunny day and getting there proved to be pretty easy except for a couple of idiot truckers.

Regardless, soon I was back on the same spot I had used before:


Rest of the day was spent resting, relaxing and reading.  I did pootle around on Yagi, the Yamaha TW200 for a little bit but no pictures taken.

Wednesday, March 25

Lots of picture opportunities today!

First thing was a ride down to Ajo, AZ to get groceries, some engine oil for Yagi and to see if the open pit mine's viewing station was open. 

But first, the sunrise wasn't too shabby:



I rode Fiona, my '99 Ural Patrol sidecar rig down as she can carry more cargo such as groceries.  The pickings were not bad but there was a limit of one of each item selected!  I was permitted to get two packs of Ramen Noodles after checking with the cashier first however. 

The viewing platform for the open pit mine remains closed; so here a picture I got while holding the camera above the wire fence that surrounds the mine area:


Then it was time to check out what turns out to be the town of Ajo's Artists Alley:

Sedona
artist: Miss Hazard

Drones over Sonora
artist: Mike (DaWolf) Baker



Music Makers
Mike (DaWolf) Baker



Mike (DaWolf) Baker

At the other end of the alley, one emerges near the town's shopping center.  I just liked the arches that border the center however.




I got back and put away the groceries and just worked on removing some of the oily grime from Fiona's engine.  She continues to leak from her pushrod tube seals and I am planning on doing a top end rebuild when I get her home next month.

Late afternoon, I rode Yagi to capture the blues I'd spotted from the RV's roof while looking around:



I didn't think today's sunset would amount to much as there was heavy cloud cover.  I was so wrong.

First I was just concentrating on a bit of color in the distant horizon, using the telephoto lens and thinking that this was going to be it:


And then, the sky just lit up!




And then, the sky slowly started darkening:


And I finished off the series with another telephoto shot of the distant horizon:



11 comments:

Bluekat said...

Wow! Beautiful skies tonight! ❤️

redlegsrides said...

Indeed Bluekat, and to think that I had believed it wouldn’t amount to much, this sunset

Bluekat said...

Yeah, sometimes they sneak up on you.

SonjaM said...

Oh yes, truly beautiful, Dom.

RichardM said...

Beautiful sunset. And the murals are pretty cool. We didn’t stop there as the big Saturday market was going on and they were charging for parking.

redlegsrides said...

Danke Schön SonjaM

redlegsrides said...

Thanks RichardM, I was wondering why there were no pictures from Bridget about these murals.

Artie & Leinen's Grand Adventure said...

Yes, I’d like to go back to Ajo. The arches give it a Mediterranean feel. I enjoyed your pictures. Beautiful sunset!

redlegsrides said...

I liked the arches as well. Thanks for the comments.

CCjon said...

Some great photos today. Must put Ajo on my list of places to visit.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks CCjon, it’s definitely worth a stop.