Saturday, March 28, 2020

Back in Buenos Aires

The Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge that is!

I've boondocked here before and this time the spot with the best view of Baboquivari Peak was open for my use.

Turns out, only one other camper in the immediate area, and he turned out to be one of the folks who've commented on my pictures on Facebook!  Small world.

I arrived around noon on Friday, March 27, but strong winds and a cool front kept me "sheltering in place" inside the URRV after I set up camp.

Saturday, March 28:

It would prove to be much warmer this afternoon than yesterday afternoon.  I did wake to slightly below freezing temperatures in the URRV though.  I'd enough blankets overnight to keep me warm but getting up in the morning proved "brisk" until I got the catalytic heater going!



Yagi and Baboquivari Peak

Once it had warmed up to about 50°F (10°C), I geared up with a couple of warming layers under the riding jacket and rode the 13 miles or so to the nearby town of Arivaca to get some AAA batteries for my inside thermometer.  I picked up some sundry supplies as well.

Before the grocery chore though, I rode east of town about three miles to pose Fiona, my '99 Ural Patrol with Keystone Peak and Cerro Colorado in the background:

Keystone Peak is right above Fiona, the rest is
the Cerro Colorado according to Peak Finder app.

Lunch and the first half of the afternoon was spent hanging about the URRV, doing some light chores.

Around 3PM, I rode out on Yagi, my 2006 Yamaha TW200 to explore some of the trails in the NWR that I'd not ridden before.

One of the trails led me to atop a small hill with this view of Baboquivari Peak:


I explored some more trails, always turning back when things got a bit too steep or rocky or both!

Then I went to ride the 297 Trail which is a loop that ends up at campsite #36 where I had boondocked before.  I found myself at what I will call a Rescue Beacon Tower.  It has a spinning set of cups on top which reflect the sun to catch the eye, and at night a police blue LED blinks to advertise it's location.

I'd seen this blue light blinking in the dark before when camped at site #36, but hadn't found it before today.



After taking the above pictures, I rode down a side trail marked as 296.  It ended for me at a steep downhill rock strewn goat trail so I turned around back to the beacon.

There I found a Border Patrol agent, apparently looking for me!  Although I'd not pushed the red button to call for help, the camera I saw above the box with the emergency phone had apparently captured my image and alerted the nearby agent.

He and I chatted, he had just come by to make sure all was well with me, which I appreciated.  I was a bit surprised the camera was monitored real time but perhaps it just generated an alert for the Border Patrol as part of the safety protocol/patrols they run.

Back at camp, I worked on sewing up some damage on my riding boots.  I'd been "making do" with Gorilla Tape for quite a while now, but now they're properly sewn up.  As I finished the repairs, it was time for sunset pictures:



10 comments:

Al Christensen said...

I saw you ride by, then minutes later a couple of BP vehicles. They came back after a while, then you. I wondered if they were after you or whether it was just coincidence. They didn't come looking for me the other day when I checked out the signal and took photos. I was on foot and turned south along the edge of the bluff.

CCjon said...

Like the Border Patriol agent, just checking in on you Dom, Making sure you are safe.

You have to love being in those wide open spaces with no one around coughing.

Here in the big city, if one is not worried enough, just check the maps showing how many person are infected in your county. That will make you stay inside, become anti-social.

Keep sharing the photos, and you're rides.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks for the comments Al Christensen, perhaps I looked more in need of aid or they were nearby and had the time.

redlegsrides said...

You use the word anti-social like it’s a bad thing. ;)

I never expected my need for isolation to become socially demanded one day!

SonjaM said...

We actually don't have a translation for social distancing, because hey we are Germans ;-) it's in our genetic programming to keep our distance. Just kidding, we say something along the lines of physical distancing. Because being social (as in looking out for others) is very important in challenging times like these.

redlegsrides said...

I’ve always seen Germans as folks who are proper and like things in order....very much like me. :)


RichardM said...

“ … and like things in order”. And, yet, you still drive a Ural?

Just kidding. It’s still getting below freezing at night?

Oz said...

That beacon is interesting. Just standing near it alerted the BP. Probably a slow day, but still nice to know help is available. Great photos again. I have been riding to work (school principal) but sure would love to be out and away from the DFW metromess. Thanks for the photos and posts.

redlegsrides said...

I didn’t claim to be right in the Head RichardM! It got to 38F last night and should be warmer tonight hopefully.....

redlegsrides said...

Thanks OZ for the comments, I like the term: Metromess! Denver remains cesspool however so I’ll continue with that.