Saturday, March 21, 2020

More T-Dubing in the Sand Dunes, Uraling to Indian Pass and even more dunes!

This morning's sunrise was pretty good:






I rode my TW200 (T-Dub) out to the dunes this morning shortly after breakfast in order to hopefully catch some nice shadows on the dunes.

I used the trail closest to the road and was able to access a couple of nice spots for posing Yagi:








 

After a late morning snack, I geared up and rode Fiona, my '99 Ural Patrol north on Ogilby Road to Indian Pass Road.

Not a bad dirt road, it had its washboards, it's rocky spots and ruts here and there but not bad.  I was able to maintain about 25-30 MPH over most of it.

Made it to the summit of Indian Pass (from the south its easy):

 Indian Pass Summit, it plummets down into the valley
over on the left side of the pic.

Notice something weird about Fiona?

Yep, apparently I'd failed to notice the right side bolt holding the headlight had loosened and the bumpy ride had caused it to fall off!  I had a "close enough" bolt which I threaded in, and taped into place for now until I can get to a hardware store to buy a replacement.

After this minor repair, tried going down the north side of Indian Pass but gave up after going down perhaps 200 feet.  It got "gnarly" really fast, with deep ruts which precluded much maneuvering.  So I turned Fiona around, engaged 2WD, and motored on out of there and back to the summit!

I retraced my route and looked for a good spot to pose Fiona with Picacho Peak in the background:


As I neared the site of the town of Tumco, I posed Fiona with the rugged rock formations in the vicinity.


Yep, another flowering Ocotillo

Got back to camp around 3PM and relaxed till close to 5PM.  Then I got on Yagi once again for more dune pics, this time with the shadows on the opposite side!

This time I pretty much aimed Yagi at the tallest dune in the vicinity and got within one dune of it!  Of course, I had to walk up the last portion to stand on that dune but it turned out a good position for Yagi pics:





 The view from the tallest dune


That's the tallest dune

Got back to camp with no issues, I think I'm getting the hang of riding on these dunes...and perhaps a little more confident?

Sunset was pretty good as well:


 Tried for a sunset reflection in the URRV's windows



4 comments:

RichardM said...

Nice shadows in the sand dunes!

redlegsrides said...

Thanks RichardM, I wonder why Dunes and their shadows are so visually appealing?

Coop a.k.a. Coopdway said...

I've been fortunate enough to ride in many places in a real variety of conditions but I'm very jealous of your having all that fun riding on TOP of sand. That is something I need to do...someday.

redlegsrides said...

It’s a lot more fun than I thought it would be Coop, of course if it was the loose deep sand of Moab, I’d be less happy