Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Sealing the Dicor sealant with Eternabond Tape

You are supposed to, I believe on at least a yearly basis, inspect and reseal as needed the Dicor sealant used on a RV's roof to seal up holes were items have been mounted such as vent covers, ladder mount, antennas and TV masts.

Today I spent most of the morning and part of the afternoon applying Eternabond Tape and covering all of the Dicor sealant already up on the roof of the VRRV.  This was after cleaning up all the Dicor sealant the day before.

The weather was a bit cool but mostly sunny.  Thanks to advice from RichardM, I used a hair dryer to warm things up on the tape and the RV roof so that it would bond nicely.

Then it was just a matter of measure, cut, fit and apply.  The tape is quite sticky so you better get it right the first time or you will get some wrinkles.  I of course, got wrinkles, but nothing major and it should seal up regardless.

On the long edges, I had to do it in sections, as the tape can be a bit unwieldy to manage and not get stuck too parts that one does not want taped!

Not only did I cover all the openings that had been sealed with Dicor, but I went ahead and also did the side and rear edges of the roof as well as the Dicor-sealed joining with the front cab plastic housing.

I had removed the plastic covers on two of the vent covers before cleaning off all the dirt and such from the existing Dicor sealant.  

Front Half of Roof....the only cover I didn't
remove was the one for the AC unit.

The Rear Half, I think I'm going to get 
an additional cover for the beige-colored cover
for the bathroom.

In the picture above, you can see the exposed screen section of the vent used by the refrigerator propane burner which heats up the chemical which produces the cooling effect for the fridge.  It's the one that was damaged two or trips ago, and whose cover I now wire in place instead of the screws it came with.


Not really hard work, just a lot of kneeling on the roof....forgot to deploy the kneepad cushion initially and then I just kept going.  Lots of climbing up and down the extendable ladder since I was keeping the tape rolls inside where it was warm initially.

Hopefully, the tape has sealed up nicely to the dicor and roof, I'll inspect it tomorrow morning before I return the VRRV to the storage yard.

Once it's warmer weather or I'm in Arizona in January, I might apply a bead of Dicor sealant on the edges of the tape per RichardM's recommendation.

No comments: