Monday, October 10, 2022

Now Boondocking near Poncha Pass

Headed out of Buena Vista this morning shortly after 7AM.  I'd woken at 4:30AM and had not been able to roll over and get back to sleep.

By 10 AM I was at my preferred spot in the BLM area just south of Poncha Pass, south of the town of Poncha Springs, CO.  There's only 2-3 other campers out here with their rigs.  Before I arrived, I stopped south of Salida at the visitor center where I was able to dump tanks ($10 via credit card) and fill up with potable water.

The morning was pretty windy as I set up camp and it would blow on and off through the rest of the day.  A bit cloudy, but when the sun was out, it felt nice, especially when the wind would die down.

The area has experienced major logging activity!  The campsite used to have a lot more trees behind it.

After lunch, I went riding with Yagi, my TW200, to check out the Fall Colors (or variations of Yellow), in the area.

I had to ride to the southern edge of the BLM area to find the good stuff:







Reflections

Part of the Sangre de Cristo Mountain Range

Mount Ouray

As I returned towards camp, I checked out some other spots and at one of them found a nice pile of cut aspen wood.  Since I was riding Yagi, I was only able to grab a few logs:

Meager Load

Of course, I then returned with Scarlett:

Full Load!

The local Fourteeners on the Sangre de Cristo Mountain Range have their first coatings of Winter ...

Cottonwood Peak

Mount Owen

Back at camp, I started a fire and tended it till dark.  

Dinner by the fire


The plan is for Martha to join me out here this weekend.  Should be fun.  

8 comments:

RichardM said...

Nice photos! And you found a stash of firewood.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks RichardM, Aspen burns pretty good too...unlike Pine. The area has been and is being heavily logged.

Oz said...

I love the photos. My wife is on me about going to see the colors next year. Good to see you are eating well :)

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Oz, My diet when Martha is not with me camping can be a little bit iffy but enjoyable.

SonjaM said...

Sitting by the fire enjoying a simple meal. Life seems good. Enjoy your time with Martha.

redlegsrides said...

Life is pretty good SonjaM, some issues as always but overall, good!

Steve Williams said...

First, I'm glad you've recovered from your falls with Yagi. It took me awhile to catch up with your adventures. My Himalayan has only fallen on me once but it was cushioned by a dense growth of Mountain Laurel.

The blazing yellow of the tree foliage is spectacular on my computer screen. I can only imagine how great it looks in person. You're living the life Dom.

And food cooked over a fire at the end of the day is just perfect.

Be well as you wander the West.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Steve, recovery continues albeit slowly, old age as you know....thanks for the feedback. Am back from wandering for now...