Sunday, June 08, 2008

Here's what an AC separation looks like

AC Separation: Acromioclavicular Separation

In addition to quick and efficient treatment from the St. Anthony's Summit Health Center ER, they sent me home with a CD containing the x-ray shots they'd taken of my shoulder. I am supposed to give them to my regular physician on Monday for his examination I guess.

Here's a graphic of the shoulder area from steadman-hawkins.com: LINK





Following are the x-rays I was provided, the first one makes the separation look really bad, but I think its the angle it was shot at. The second one seems more reasonable?


I am thinking that the ligament that binds the end of the clavicle to the acromion is invisible to X-rays, so it looks like there's a complete separation between the bones when there's actually still something holding them together. Looks kind of freaky though, doesn't it?

I am hoping its a Type 1 separation as shown above. I'll find out tomorrow I guess.

I've been able to dispense with using the arm sling since yesterday afternoon. I've got perhaps 80-90% range of motion back in my shoulder and can lift light objects like helmets above my head now. I am, like the ER nurse told me, using "pain as my guide". If I sit for a while without moving the right shoulder, it's a little sore when I move it again but gets better for a while.

No comments: