Sunday, July 22, 2007

Building my own manometer

As alluded to in my previous post, I gathered the materials to build my own manometer out of materials readily available at your local hardware store.

It took me less than 30 minutes to put it all together, most of that time getting the oil to settle into the loop. I used the "suck on one end with the other end of the tubing in an oil container" method to add the oil. I used some leftover 10w40 engine oil for my motorcycle. I thought about adding food coloring but as you can see, you can read the level of the oil easily enough.



Materials involved:
1 x 4ft Metal Ruler from Lowes: $6
1 x 20ft Length of 5/16 Clear Vinyl tubing: $2.39 from Home Depot
8 x 12" Wire Ties @ .06 cents each.

Total: $8.87, and apparently based on some postings on discussion boards I frequent, more sensitive/accurate than a Twinmax Carburator Synchronizer that comes ten times more! Such a deal. Almost makes me want to take Maria's fairings off and do a throttle body sync, almost but not quite. : )

A Bungee cord will hold it suspended near the motorcycle next time I do a TBS.

No comments: