Wednesday, June 08, 2022

Now in Wisconsin, at the Highland Ridge COE Campground

 We left Minnesota in the rear view mirror today, negotiating the heavy traffic around the Minneapolis/St. Paul area without too much stress.

We'll spend a couple of nights at the Corps of Engineers (COE) campground near Spring Valley, WI.  It's a nice campground, not very large, and lots of trees to make the sites feel secluded.  Not many campers present either which of course is a bonus.

Martha and I went for a short hike, found a bench at a scenic viewpoint overlooking the swim area in the main day use area across the lake.  No swim area at the campground, just as well as the water would be too cold.

Nice and shady under the trees, here's some mushrooms which begged to be photographed in their unusual (to me) color:



The rest of the afternoon was spent just relaxing and reading our respective books.  In my case, listening to my audio book.  Currently working my way through the large series by Bernard Cromwell, about a British Rifleman during the Napoleonic Wars.

Oh, I did make a recce ride with Yagi, my Yamaha TW200, of nearby Spring Valley and located the entrance to Crystal Cave.  It's apparently the largest cave in Wisconsin.


4 comments:

RichardM said...

That looks like a nice CoE campground. Bugs aren’t too bad? That’s what I remember about camping innwI.

redlegsrides said...

RichardM, bugs aren't too bad.... They are around but they haven't bit me yet.

SonjaM said...

What a beautiful camp spot.

redlegsrides said...

It is very nice SonjaM, access to the reservoir would have been nice but it's okay.