Sunday, March 16, 2008

A Ride to Castlerock before the forecasted snow storm

The weather folks are forecasting/guessing "significant" wet snowfall for our area starting late tonight and into Monday.

The warning sounds a bit grim:

..HEAVY SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 3 PM MDTMONDAY FOR THE FRONT RANGE AND ADJACENT HIGH PLAINS IN NORTHEASTCOLORADO...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DENVER HAS ISSUED A HEAVY SNOWWARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 3 PM MDTMONDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.SNOWFALL WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES LATE TONIGHT AND MONDAY...WITHTOTAL SNOW SNOW ACCUMULATIONS RANGING FROM 8 TO 16 INCHES IN THETHE FRONT RANGE AND FOOTHILL AREAS...6 TO 12 INCHES OVER THEPALMER DIVIDE...AND 4 TO 8 INCHES WITHIN THE INTERSTATE 25CORRIDOR INCLUDING THE DENVER METRO AREA AND WELD COUNTY. GUSTYNORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS OF 15 TO 30 MPH MAY ALSO PRODUCE SOMEBLOWING SNOW IN OPEN AREAS.A HEAVY SNOW WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS AREEXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECASTTHAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE. ONLY TRAVEL INAN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...ANDWATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.


Map from Weatherbonk.com, red squares are areas covered by the above warning. Yikes!

Needless to say, I made sure to get a ride in this morning before daddy duties this afternoon prevented me from riding.

Temperatures were from low to mid 40s and sunny in the morning. It was rising towards the low 50s as I finished my ride.

Today's ride was centered on CO83 down to where it junctions with CO11, which I then took back towards Castlerock where I took pictures of the rock formation from which the town gets its name.


CO11 is part of the route shown to us by Grey Buckley, former president of the ColoradoBeemers Motorcycle Club and MOA Ambassador. It's got some real nice sweepers and a couple of twisty sections that are quite fun to negotiate. I can see it becoming one of favorite "close in" roads.

It was a bit windy at times, it was coming from the South so anytime you headed either East or West, you got buffeted, but not bad. Weirdly, heading North with the wind at your back, it was quite silent in comparison to the other directions of travel. I could hear Maria's engine purring nicely under me as I found each gear's sweet spot, all was well with my world.

Castlerock


Next time I'm in the vicinity, must plan on hiking up "the rock". I found the hiking path this time while taking pictures.

About 90 miles or so of riding, smooth and dry roads with not too cold weather conditions. Temperatures are dropping as I write this and it feels quite chilly outside when the sun is hidden by thick overcast.

Oh well. Hopefully I can work from home and get some snow clearing efforts underway so that I can hopefully ride again Tuesday afternoon perhaps.

No comments: