Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Working on an Escape Plan during Snow Days

I am now really sick and tired of being trapped by snowpacked/icy neighborhood roads when clear streets are only a couple of LONG blocks away. Not to mention the icy deathtraps at the entrance to the neighborhood that threatens to tear off my car's airdam when traversing it. Nearly got stuck on the ice this morning when I went to avoid the dip but started sliding on the ice-encrusted snow next to it. The Nokian WR tires came through though, so glad I equipped all my cars with these tires, they do great on snow/ice.

Having the green light from my loving wife, I am now scheduled to have a tow hitch attached to my Mercedes 560SL which is my transportation on bad weather days when I can't bike. The plan now is to rent a trailer from U-Haul (thanks for the idea, John!) on the days I want to haul the bike out of the snow-choked neighborhood roads and onto the main streets and then go riding. Heck, I'll even be able to commute to work assuming the ice-covered deathtrap that is the parking lot at work is safe enough to ride on. At the very least, it'll allow me to ride on clear roads during the weekends as I am forced to wait on the melting of the snowpacked roads in my neighborhood.

1987 MB 560SL, her name is Liesl

Yeah, I know, I'll probably be banned from the Mercedes Enthusiast Forums but one can't deny the utility of this concept. When I need to drop the car off for servicing I attach a trailer and bring my bike along. I leave the car at the mechanic's and ride to work on my bike. If the bike needs servicing, then the situation is reversed. I'll no longer have to prevail on my loving wife for a ride to either location or beg friends for a ride to pick up a vehicle when it's finished being serviced!

Long term, I'll see how much of a PITA it is to depend on the local U-Haul for renting a Motorcycle Trailer on what will hopefully be very few ocassions during the year. If it's too much of a PITA then I'll be getting this trailer:

Same bike as Maria on this trailer.

No comments: