Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Snow Thrower is Here!

As emailed to me by Sears, the snow thrower arrived today at the local store. I got there ahead of their notification to come pick it up. Note: Sears' online system, sucks. The store had the model onhand that I had ordered online, so why could they not just allocate me one they already had in the store instead of shipping another one? I could have had it this past weekend when we got 6-8 inches of snow!!!


The specs are here if you're interested. It's a two-stage with 5.5HP, not the most powerful but pricey enough.

As foretold to me by guys who've used snow throwers, it was pretty ineffective against packed ice but she did wonderfully against packed snow. I only had a couple of hours of daylight once I got it home and assembled but I tried it out on several spots in the culdesac, and did some clearing around my driveway to get a feel for operating the beast.

Turned out to be pretty easy and uncomplicated. Taking the morning off tomorrow to do some serious sidewalk clearing past the culdesac to gain clear dry access to S. Ireland Street which will then lead me to the clear main roads out of the neighborhood for my motorcycle. I'm hoping anyways. The forecast is good for some serious melting of snow in the area.

Of course, more snow is forecasted for the weekend so I am probably pissing in the wind again but at least I'll be clearing away the existing layer from the sidewalks.

25JAN07 Followup: Confirming what I said about Sear's online sales mechanism sucking, I just received a recorded message call, telling me my snow blower was ready for pickup! Truly a sad state of affairs for such a big company. Yep, 32 hours AFTER I picked it up from the store, I get the call to come get it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you still have that much snow! We have some snow on the side streets but most have pavement showing down the center. Living on the the north side is a _itch.