Wednesday, May 03, 2023

Making a Sh*t Sandwich while waiting for Yagi

 So, yesterday's post detailed the delay of at least a week, until I get Yagi back from the shop in Henderson, NV.  Enough of that.

The first time I heard this saying, it was on active duty with the US Army:  When Life Gives You Shit, Make a Shit Sandwich!  In other words, when things don't go right, deal with it.  No whining.

So with time to kill while I wait for Yagi to be fixed, I set about today to craft said shit sandwich.  I left the dry lake bed area south of Boulder City and headed up the Northshore Road that is within the Lake Mead Recreation Area towards Snowbird Mesa.

Since the road is within the Lake Mead Recreation Area, one had to pay National Park entrance fees.  The fees seemed quite high, but my America the Beautiful Military Veteran Pass got me in for free!  

Northshore road is quite scenic along the southern portion, I will take more pictures hopefully when I return to Henderson next week.  Planning to check it out on the way back, I bypassed the Redstone Dune Trail area, it looked quite nice with very cool red rock formations.

Soon enough (about an hour for the whole trip), I was at Sand Mine Road and the BLM Dispersed Camping area traversed by this road.  There were several spots open and I chose one on a small ridge/peninsula overlooking some nice canyon views:

Here's closer views of the canyon's rock formations below my campsite:



Yep, that's a trail of sorts down there.  The remains of the river that carved this canyon back a few thousand years ago.  (Probably millennia ago, but who's counting?)

Around 3PM, after the heat of the day, though the wind still blew quite strongly as it had most of the day; I headed out on Scarlett to find the trail into the canyon.

After one wrong turn, I found the trail and we headed on down a steep trail to the bottom.  Engaging 2WD due to sandy conditions, Scarlett and I motored along the bumpy (rocks) trail with no issues.  

I was trying to find the spot where my campsite was but I didn't have good signal down there and had failed to leave a marker on the top of the canyon's wall.  Oh well.  I did get a set of coordinates and it turns out I went past the camp, perhaps next time.




As you can see, the overcast skies didn't let through enough light from the sun to get nicely bright shots.

I was slightly nervous since this type of terrain, I've found, is better negotiated with Yagi, my TW200.  But, since she's in the shop, the heir: Scarlett got the mission.

Ever hear the expression: An Heir and a Spare?  Scarlett is the heir, Yagi is the spare.

Got back to camp with no issues, the winds are blowing much stronger outside as I type this and there's even rain in the forecast for tomorrow.  Not much I'm sure but still, we'll see if we get sunny weather in spite of it all.

The Golden Hour arrived:







So far, this shit sandwich is not bad.  

9 comments:

Blaze Our Way said...

Gorgeous area! I’m glad Scarlett could make it into the canyon and back.

Coop a.k.a. Coopdway said...

The lemons and lemonade…adapt to Conditions. Good luck with a successful resolution!

redlegsrides said...

I was very glad, BlazeOurWay, was worried for a bit.

redlegsrides said...

Added Golden Hour and Sunset pics....

CCjon said...

Looks like you had the bottom of the canyon to yourself?
Nice spot to relax and explore.

redlegsrides said...

I did CCjon....it was nice

RichardM said...

What a beautiful area you found!

redlegsrides said...

I really like it RichardM, Chris Z. suggested it.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Coop, sorry for the delay in approving your post.