Friday, February 05, 2021

Mariko Tasks, RV Vent repair and a brisk ride with Yagi

 Sunny but cool today, with a high only in the mid-60s....the steady wind made it seem much cooler.

After some more looking at the fuel pump and ruminating over the problem overnight, it finally occurred to me to forego using the existing mount point on the floorboard of the Sammy.

Instead, I secured the metal clamp that encircles the pump onto the cable sheath used by the parking brake!  Much quieter now, I can still hear it (just not as loud) when I turn the ignition to ON, can barely hear it with the engine on at idle and definitely don't hear it anymore with the vehicle moving.

Drove into T or C to get some nuts and bolts to secure the clamp to the parking brake cable sheath:

The additional hardware I purchased enabled me to reinstall the battery hold down which had come apart earlier in the week.  This time, used safety wire to ensure the wingnuts won't rotate loose.

After the above, I went to install a replacement vent for the URRV's stove....the vent flap had gone missing some time ago you see.  Turns out, the replacement vent cap was too deep so instead I took the flap from the new vent cap along with the plastic retainer pegs (which I reinforced) and put the old vent cap back on with some silicone sealant.

After lunch, I topped off the oil in the Sammy (she seems to be going through a lot of oil which has me a bit worried) and just did some cleaning around the inside of the URRV.

After 3PM, I got geared up and rode Yagi down the road towards the northern portions of the Elephant Butte State Park.  I bypassed the dirt trails and ended up on the access road which eventually winds up near Exit 89 on the I-25 highway.

I crossed over the super slab and decided to continue riding towards the village of Monticello.  It was about 20 miles or so and about halfway there I had to go into reserve on the fuel tank!

I decided to press on and made it to the village of Monticello with no issues though a bit chilled from not wearing a windproof layer under my riding jacket.  

The village itself was unremarkable, a mix of old and not so old small houses and old vehicles.  Nothing picture-worthy was found and I turned around to ride back to the camp site.

Made it back, though there was some doubt, with 105 miles on the trip meter....I've always thought I had 120 as the range before empty but don't have hard data.  Pictures in my mind of me pushing Yagi up the steep incline before exit 92 on I-25 flashed through my mind as I rode along, fortunately, all they were was just that, visions.


RichardM said...

Ural-ish range with the tiny tank. You must not be carrying the extra gas all the time.

redlegsrides said...

Yeah, the TW200's range is definitely like a Ural's. I should have secured the small spare gas tank on her before taking off but I'd not planned on going that just felt good to be riding on two wheels ...