Sunday, January 13, 2019

The Southwestern Sojourn - Day 49: Uraling along Rocky Point Road

Today's riding involved exploring the trails around the campground.

Not much to report, I kept encountering either "no motorized travel" signs or private property signs and ended up turning back.

 Looking west from near the campground, that't
Oatman Mountain on the right.

I decided to head west, along Rocky Point Road, past the turn off for Oatman Mountain I'd explored earlier.

Went as far as 17 miles, to Hyder Road where it parallels a railroad track that was marked as "out of service".  Not much out there but did find several BLM sites that could be used for boondocking.  Good signal but really not much else around; but if solitude is the goal, I know the spots.

 I liked the varied hues in the distant peaks

As I retraced my route, now heading east on Rocky Point Road, I stopped to take a closer look at some structures on top of mountain that had caught my eye on the way out:

Note the buildings on top, it peaked my curiousity.


Google Maps showed the road as named: Government Road.  Interesting.  My mind wondered what kind of secret government installation would be up there....

The truth, as I approached the inevitable gate, was much less exciting.


 
That mystery solved, I continued eastward, noting possible BLM boondocking sites along the way and checking cellular signal coverage.  As they were all in the shadow of Oatman Mountain with its forest of antennae, they all showed strong 4G signal.

Tonight's sunset was very mild:



No comments: