Sunday, December 31, 2023

Happy New Year and 2023 in Pictures

Here's hoping you and yours have a great New Year in 2024!

2023 was pretty good for us, Martha retired and joined me more often camping.

Though I've been blogging since 2006 (yikes), I've only compiled a video of "The Year in Pictures" since 2008.  I think it was a suggestion from SonjaM that got things rolling and though I managed to forget to do it for 2009 (senior moment I'm sure), I've managed to make it happen since then.

I also record some travel/riding stats for future reference.  This year, it occurred to me (after seeing another blogger's goal to ride the circumference distance of Earth: 24,901 miles); to add up my mileage totals since I started riding.

It is actually quite surprising.  I figured it out to be (roughly) a total of 238,563 miles ridden.  That works out to be a bit over 9 times the circumference of the Earth in 17 years and on nine motorcycles.

Stats for 2023

Brigitta ending mileage: 102960 = 231 miles, way down from last year's 918 miles. (Pitiful, though I wasn't home much)

Scarlett ending mileage: 74679: 1976 Km = 1187 miles, down from last year's 2484 miles. (This was first year we started towing the Honda CR-V)

Yagi ending mileage: 20156 = 2295 miles, up from last year's 2575 miles

Total motorcycle mileage: 3713, down from last year's 5977

Correspondingly, Uma the VRRV ended the year at 99,635 = 10438 miles, up from last year's 8330 miles.

Days camping: 240 (65% of the year), up from last year's 168 days.

10 comments:

SonjaM said...

Wonderful recap, Dom. I still envy you for the opportunity to visit remote and serene places without leaving the country. As for stats... I have been racking up 1400 kms (870 mi) on foot. Not too bad given that I am still of the working crowd. I wish you and Martha (and the things) a spectacular 2024. Take care and stay healthy. Safe travels and all the best, SonjaM

redlegsrides said...

Wow, SonjaM, that is a lot of miles! Thanks for the feedback, Happy New Year to you and Roland.

Spat said...

Dom You've had an exciting year full of great travels Hoping it continues thru '24. The pictorial overview captured some of the great places of your journies but you made our home state look arguably best of all
Happy New Year to you all

redlegsrides said...

Thanks John, a happy 2024 to you and Cookie!

Oz said...

Awesome job. I am challenged to keep my riding stats for 2024. I hope I can be disciplined enough to do so. The stats would add to my recap.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Oz, my yearly stats are in a definite decline the last few years...fortunately I didn't have the VRRV during the early moto riding years.

Happy New Year.

CCjon said...

Congratulations 2023 was quite the travel year for you two. You are getting better and better at finding those secluded idyllic spots for camping. Looking forward to see where you go in 2024. Safe travels...

redlegsrides said...

Thanks CCjon, Safe travels to you as well in the upcoming year. I hope to find new secluded spots in the SW during the Winter and we'll see how things are on the eastern half of the country this Spring/Summer. Martha wishes to explore the Northeast.

BlazeOurWay said...

So many beautiful sunrises and sunsets caught between all the adventures. Here’s to many more good times and adventures in 2024! 👍❤️

redlegsrides said...

Thanks, Blazeourway. Happy New Year to you and Chris. Safe travels back to Arizona!