Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Chasing a Leak on Yagi, a Pronghorn Sighting and Beef is Whats for Dinner!

Monday, Dec 18

Yagi, my TW200, had been displaying signs of a oil seepage over the last few months.

It's gotten bad enough that she sheds a few drops when parked after a ride, not to mention also evidence of oil from her splashing onto the front bumper of the VRRV when Yagi's mounted on the front rack.

I spent some time this morning washing off all the oil/grime/dirt of the last few months worth of camping and I suspect the leak is coming from a worn seal on the front valve cover gasket.

At least, I hope that's it, based on the flow of the oil/grime that took a while to remove!

The seal: P/N 93210-57634-00 is on order via Amazon.   Not due till the end of the year.


Tuesday, Dec 19

Today I drove Scarlett on a 55 mile meandering trip mostly on the western edge of the Colorado Eastern Plains.  Not much out there but some ranches, some oil/natural gas wells/drill equipment and lots of brown grasses.

Didn't really find much to take pictures of, just enjoying the warm weather (65°F (18.3°C), the sun shining through somewhat cloudy skies, and the purring sound of Scarlett's engine.

While driving along Jewell Avenue, I saw this in the distance in the middle of a field:

FAA VOR:
Very High Frequency Omni-Directional Range
Navigation Aid

Riding to get closer to the VOR above, I happened upon a small herd of Pronghorn Sheep.  I stopped and swapped to the telephoto lens:

A bit blurry, sorry, no chance to deploy the tripod


They mooned me!

FYI:  The above pics were post-processed to increase scale and clarity.  Here's the original pic of the first one:


A few more miles and I was home after refilling the spare gas cans in preparation for the next camping trip.  Probably next month sometime.

My loving wife Martha prepared a sumptuous prime rib dinner with Brussels Sprouts mixed with bacon and maple syrup.  Yummy.


9 comments:

Oz said...

Those pronghorn won't let you get very close, will they? They are pretty animals and so fast. Getting that good of a photo is not easy.

It's great having a wife that can cook! Mine is awesome.

RichardM said...

Yumm! Completely forgot about the first part of the post…

redlegsrides said...

Oz, nope, they're quite skittish....and the Ural's engine noise is quite noticable. ;)

A wife who can cooks has caused my riding pants to shrink in the wait area....very curious.

redlegsrides said...

RichardM, I quite understand.....

CCjon said...

Pronghorn have great eyesight and are fast. Once used a pronghorn decoy in an attempt to get closer to one, but was so nervous that some idiot might shoot the decoy with me behind it. Never tried it again.

redlegsrides said...

Decoys like that work? I'd heard of duck decoys but not for such

SonjaM said...

I completely lost my train of thought while drooling over the last pic with Martha cutting the roast... nomnom. Looks delish! Cheers, SonjaM

redlegsrides said...

Your comment pleased Martha, SonjaM...Danke.

Oz said...

:). Yes a good cook does seem to cause clothing shrinkage. Funny how that works.