Saturday, December 23, 2023

Pre-Christmas Miscellany

Yesterday, I did a test ride to check the security of the mounting straps/bungie cords used to carry a bicycle in Scarlett's sidecar.

Why would I carry a bicycle you might ask?

Well, I'd found that the Sand Creek Greenway Trail that I'd been exploring on foot, was much longer than originally thought.  The trail is open to bicyclists but not motorcyclist so I broke the bicycle out of storage in the garage.

Once she was pretty much road-worthy (rear brakes need further work), I took it to the Triple Creek Trailhead which is the northern end of the trail it seems.

The bicycle stayed securely mounted throughout today's riding I'm happy to report and is simple to unmount as well.

I rode perhaps 5 miles total on the trail and was unsurprised at how out of shape I've become over the years.  Still, as I type this the next day, my leg muscles aren't hurting much at all.  I'm definitely going to have to improve the rear brake performance though as going downhill on dirt can prove interesting without good brakes.

This morning, Saturday, I spent a couple of hours replacing the rear brake pedal on Scarlett.  

The wooden block that I'd zip-tied into place you see, had snapped off sometime during the ride and I was back to doing the ballerina toe-down maneuver to get any kind of response from the rear and sidecar brakes.  Annoying. 

It took me a while but I finally realized it was just a missing wood block, not a failure of the brake lines or such.

The replacement was pretty straightforward.  The only bummer is once again realizing that at my age, laying on the cold garage floor  and working on the motorcycle kind of sucks!  Oh well.

Here's the stock pedal, which try as I might, I couldn't get it set up to give me a decently short pedal travel arc to engage the rear brakes.


Here's the modified brake pedal done by (I dimly remember), the now retired Ural dealer in Fort Collins, CO: Randy.  He'd offered it to me years ago and I hadn't installed it till now since the wooden block was working just fine. 


The desired travel arc is once again on tap.  ☺    No more need to angle my foot like a ballerina going on tip toe!

Looks like we'll be getting some snow later tonight, with perhaps more tomorrow on Christmas Eve, so we might be having a White Christmas here in the cesspool that is the Metro Denver Area.

6 comments:

Oz said...

Staying away from the crowds is best, people get crazier this time of year. Enjoy your white Christmas - just rain here in Mississippi

redlegsrides said...

I will try, Oz...hope the rains stop soon for y'all.

RichardM said...

Merry Christmas!!

Not enjoying the crowds, eh?

redlegsrides said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours, RichardM...and no, I hate crowds as you know

SonjaM said...

No white Christmas for us, it's 10°C and raining so hard that flooding is expected in some parts of country. Staying away from the crowds is a good recipe, alas with some family reunion things ongoing likely not happening for me. Personally I am looking forward to the gap days between Christmas and New Year where I hope to get to spend some me time. Merry Christmas to you, Martha and the things.

redlegsrides said...

Sorry to hear about the flooding SonjaM, and I hope those upcoming gap days prove full of fun. Merry Christmas to you, Roland and yours.