Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Home for the first time this year.

Martha and I drove from west of Craig, CO to our home in Centennial today, stopping only for one chore (buying a replacement swing away trailer jack for the trailer), dumping tanks and getting fuel for Uma.

We left the campsite at 7:08 AM and were at our cul-de-sac by 1:23 PM.  The drive on US40 is much more restful than the sometimes frantic traffic on I-70, especially as one crosses into the Front Range of Colorado.

Here's some pics taken by Martha:

I believe we were approaching Berthoud Pass, the 
final "big pass" before reaching Idaho Springs eventually.

Apparently, Thing One missed me.

Got all the vehicles returned home safely, pilot
and navigator still speaking to each other

Some trip stats:

Uma drove a bit over 5089 miles since the beginning of the year.  We covered nine US states, I flew into one other to visit my folks and a month in Mexico's Baja California, resulted in me being 179 days away from home total.  This is the longest stretch so far in terms of camping!

I'm going to be home for a bit, Scarlett needs a new clutch, Uma needs to have some items looked at and there's a bunch of stuff to be done at the house too.

I also have to finalize the gear to safely flat tow Martha's Honda CR-V for the next camping trip where she comes along.

We both found Northwestern Colorado to be nice and somewhat uncrowded, especially when compared to the Front Range's mess.  More exploring of that portion of the state may be warranted.

Thanks for following along!

7 comments:

SonjaM said...

Despite the absence someone seems to still recognise you. Enjoy your home base for a change. Cheers, SonjaM

redlegsrides said...

Thanks SonjaM!

Steve Williams said...

One hundred and seventy nine days away from home. That's unfathomable to me on many levels. I suppose it reflects how truly diverse our lives and experiences can be.

I have a friend who started following your adventures because he hopes to head West to boondock. I still hope to wander west someday on my Himalayan but as time marches on I'm not sure how cooperative my body would be for thousands of miles of riding.

So I get to live that live vicariously through your posts.

Oh, and by the way, welcome home. And Happy Father's Day. And all that good stuff!

redlegsrides said...

Thanks very much Steve, has to writing thousands of miles on your Himalaya I would say trailer the sucker behind a highway vehicle or RV and extend your range that way.

CCjon said...

Home for the first time this year, that is amazing. Does looking back seem like you just left home last week? Then you start recalling at the adventures and experiences you had actually had while on the road.

Thanks for sharing all of your adventures via photos and words.


RichardM said...

I would second the suggestion to avoid the highways on the motorcycle. No reason for just cruising on the interstate.

redlegsrides said...

CCjon, it all seems to be a blur right now, which makes me glad I have somewhat of a record of it!