Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Seen while bingeing....

The weather here in the overcrowded Colorado Front Range has been and remains cold but sunny since Christmas.

I did go on a brief ride in Scarlett, my Ural Patrol sidecar rig but it was but to run an errand at the VRRV's storage yard and back.  It was, a "coldly brisk" ride.

I must get Brigitta out before the expected snow fall come New Year's Eve in a couple of days or so.

In the meantime, what have I been doing is sheltering in place (lazing on the TV couch) bingeing on multiple episodes of "All Creatures Great and Small".  Based on the great books I read in my younger days by James Herriot, a British Veterinarian.

I remain unsure why I find this series so interesting, to the point of there's been days when all I've done is watch episode after episode!  Good thing I'm retired.

So, why this post you ask?

Well, starting near the end of season 4, a new character was introduced.  Calum Buchanan, a newly minted Veterinarian come to join/help with the practice in the Yorkshire countryside.  

Calum you see is quite the character and to accompany said character is his mode of transport: A 1931 New Hudson Sidecar Motorcycle!

Here's some screen captures and pics from listed online source:



The rather stylistic/fluted exhaust pipe which was apparently a signature design of New Hudson motorcycles makes them easy to identify.

And yes, the sidecar is shaped like a boat!

After it made its debut on Episode 10 of Season 4 of All Creatures Great and Small, it went on sale for £12,000 but apparently remains unsold.  More info here: New Hudson and here: Chortley

Some pics from the article itself showing better detail of the rig:




and one from the auction website:



Pretty rig isn't it?  I don't think the boat is actually detachable and a functional watercraft but even so, can you even imagine the "delay factor" involved when driving such a rig around?

Sadly, it appears that in a latter episode, they had to switch to a different but still beautiful sidecar rig:



I'm guessing the above tug is a Norton?

Anyways, more episodes await.....not to mention, Brigitta, who hasn't been out since Oct 29!

4 comments:

Coop a.k.a. Coopdway said...

I'll be going back to watch thanks to this Post. If there was a Season or Episode missed from those early days on PBS, it didn't happen in our house. I haven't seen any of the new ones now that we are off broadcast or cable though I'm sure we can stream most any of them.

Thanks for the reference!

redlegsrides said...

Coop, the series from the 70s is in the Britbox service and the newer remake on Prime Video. Enjoy.

RichardM said...

I like that boat sidecar though the bike looks pretty small. I don’t know anything about Hudson’s.

redlegsrides said...

The tug, RichardM, was barely 500cc so I can't imagine it moved very fast. It seemed comparable to the Royal Enfield that I rented in Ireland years ago