Thursday, June 27, 2019

Heading Home, overnight boondocking near Poncha Pass

Wednesday, June 26

Left Hotchkiss around 9AM I think, meandered my way south on CO Hwy 92, twisting and turning at the end before reaching its junction with US50.

Checked out the Mesa Creek National Forest campsite, small but nice but zero signal, this site will have to wait.

Part of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison

Took US50 east through Gunnison, Monarch Pass and Poncha Springs where I got gas for the URRV.

Then it was just about 8 miles to the BLM area just south of Poncha Pass.

The spot I'd used before on this trip was taken by about four RVs so I went to the alternate site across the small valley in a different treeline.  All good.

Didn't do a lot of riding, work and kind of tired too.

Did manage to get out for the "meh" sunset though:





Pics of the campsite.

Note to self: next time, park facing the other way to reduce sloping conditions.




4 comments:

CCjon said...

Dom, you like to live dangerously, is that big spruce as dead as it appears in the photos? Hope there is no wind storm tonight....

redlegsrides said...

To be honest CCjon, didn't give it much thought....no wind storm last night so all good.

Coop a.k.a. Coopdway said...

Dom, CCjon made a good point. I've typically not paid much attention but some hammock sleeping friends have made me more aware of tree condition in general. With the West's beetle troubles, it does make good sense to be watchful.

I'll be NW of Rocky Mountain NP in August and tree cover definitely has changed based on aerial images I've seen of the area. Recent views a lot more bare than those not all that much older.

SonjaM said...

Nice one on the Yagi sunset shot, Dom.