Tuesday, December 18, 2018

The Southwestern Sojourn - Day 21: Boondocking near Boulder City, Nevada

Travel day today, heading towards Death Valley, CA.

Woke early to a blah sunrise so instead packed up the URRV and was out of the LTVA by 8:30 AM, and that included dumping tanks and taking on water.

Drove till about 1PM PST, no issues to report except for showing up at the Dry Lake Bed BLM site near Boulder City, NV with the fresh water tank indicating only half full!

Now wondering if I'm losing water as I drive?  Perhaps during the two miles of loose sand and rough dirt road that one uses to get to the BLM spot?  Of course, I didn't look at the digital readout when I tanked up, I just watched for the overflow to start under the URRV.  Sigh. 

Anyhoo, I've 15 gallons of water onboard as well as what's on the tank so should be all good.  Will see about tanking up once more before setting up camp wherever I end up in Death Valley.

The dry lake bed site is pretty nice, wide open and I think there's three campers here besides me!  I could barely see my fellow campers as they walked about their RVs and trucks.

The mountain in the background below is within the Sloan Canyon National Conservation Area next to the dry lake bed.



Besides dispersed camping, apparently the lake bed is used for "recreational racing" though it being a weekday, none of that was evident.

There was a group shooting some kind of music video involving a shiny red vintage Ford Mustang during the afternoon.  They even asked about using Scarlett in the video but I had to refuse as they had no idea how to ride her safely.  Oh well.

Warm day, enjoyed the sun while working away at stuff for work.  Finished off in time to set up for what turned out to be a pretty good sunset.






Just staying overnight, there's stuff to explore around here but I'm anxious to get to Death Valley and see what's there.

2 comments:

RichardM said...

I kept losing water as I traveled as well and ended up putting a cheap drain valve on the overflow pipe. Our trailer has a gravity fed fill for the fresh water and I think that the overflow pipe should be routed back to the fill to allow air to escape from the tank. The fill even has a fitting for the hose to plug into. After the valve was put on, we never lost any water from the tank.

redlegsrides said...

Sounds like a great solution, my overflow tube is just that, a tube....I wonder if I capped it somehow....will take a closer look at it tomorrow in the morning.