Saturday, December 08, 2018

The Southwestern Sojourn - Day 11: Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, AZ

I woke late but still managed to get some decent sunrise pics as I cooked breakfast.




I broke camp at a leisurely pace, letting the morning sun dry the ground up a bit before I left the site.  No issues leaving, though the tires could be heard shedding clumps of mud once I got up to speed on pavement!

I took AZ 86 towards the settlement of Why, yes, Why, AZ.  You then turn on AZ 85 south and about a mile down the road you turn off for the Gunsight Wash BLM site: GPS: 32.238056,-112.751396.  If heading south, turn right after Mile Marker 55 once you cross the bridge over the dry river bed.

I could see some RVs already in place and made my way past them seeking a bit more isolation.  Finally found a really nice spot after having a chat with a fellow camper who apparently comes here every year for the winter.

The dirt roads aren't bad but you have to take them slow, as there's some iffy spots which aren't an issue if you go slow and watch your turns.


Gunsight Wash BLM, about 1.5 miles from AZ 85

Got camp set up, had a sandwich for lunch and then geared up to go explore the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument located about 18 miles south on AZ 85.  You get to go through a Border Patrol Control point shortly after leaving the BLM site and then its just straight highway with overloaded trucks with Mexican plates heading south at above the posted 65 MPH speed limit!

Yes, both the Mexicans and some Arizona plated cagers passed my Ural even in the "No Passing" double-yellow line sections of highway.  Sheeesh.


Anyways, I checked in at the visitor center and was advised the best route to take was the Ajo Mountain Loop, for mountain views.  

See what you think:

You get a good view of the Mount Ajo and nearby mountains as you travel the 15 miles or so to the Visitor Center from the BLM site.

 Mount Ajo


These pics are views along the 20 mile loop that comprises the Ajo Mountain Drive Loop Route:


Cocotillo on the left, Teddy Bear Cholla on the right

Organ Pipe Cactus


 Arizona really produces some nice 
blue-shaded mountain views


Diablo Canyon behind Scarlett



More Organ Pipe Cactus


The middle mountain is Mount Ajo

No many clouds in the sky for tonight's sunset but it still rendered some nice colors back at the campsite:


I basically had the Ajo Mountain Drive Loop all to myself today, surprising for a weekend but I'll take it!  I did see two other cars but they were parked at one of the three picnic areas and I didn't see people nearby.

Only one mechanical issue, the ignition lock no longer turns with the key!  It had been acting rough as of late but I thought some lubricant would fix the issue.  Luckily, I had rigged up an ignition bypass a while back when fighting an ignition issue.

I have a spare ignition assembly so will replace that tomorrow along with the pusher brake pads as they were getting thin when I checked them before this trip.

The ignition lock issue aside, a pretty great day of riding!

8 comments:

RichardM said...

Pretty cool NM! The organ pipe cacti must be the clumps. Nice photos!

redlegsrides said...

Yep the clumps are the Organ Pipe Cacti....quite different from the Saguaro Cacti of which there were plenty.

Coop a.k.a. Coopdway said...

So, the big question....no flats with all of those cacti in close proximity??

redlegsrides said...

Coop, not yet....fingers crossed.

CCjon said...

Finally caught up with your traveling. Hey, great photos as usual Dom.

Wonder if you packaged your best sky photos and offer them as presets. Not sure how the technology works, but I get offers of various photo presets for post processing use. As we know, too often the sky is dull or cloudy that takes away from a great subject photo. A great sky preset would make a dull photo pop. Just an idea.

Glad to see you are exploring the southwest deserts again.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Jan, I’ve seen the option to process via presets one can create in Lightroom but haven’t explored further than that. Good idea though, must spend some time to see what’s entailed.

SonjaM said...

The tourism board should reward you, Dom. You are quite the ambassador for this beautiful scenery.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks SonjaM, I would settle for free entrance to all their state parks and such. ;)