Wednesday, December 12, 2018

The Southwestern Sojourn - Day 14 & 15 Travel Days

Dec 11

Didn't do any riding, just broke camp and left the Gunsite Wash BLM area near Why AZ and headed north on AZ Hwy 85.

Filled up the propane tank (6.7 gal) in a gas station in Ajo, AZ and then just motored up to I-10 to head west towards Quartzsite.  I didn't go all the way there, as I decided to stop at a RV park called Snowbirds West, located to the north of the junction of I-10 and exit 69.  Not much else there, though apparently the area is named Centennial.

The RV park is very "rustic".  Nice pads but no electric hookup, no sewer hookups (though there is a dump location), but there was a water source at each pull-through spot.

One minor thing, no water.  At least none until they turned on the camp generator at 4PM through 6PM daily.  Then the water flowed and I filled up the fresh water tank, filtering the water through a water filter.

During the time the generator is running, you can also luxuriate in a hot shower that is included in the camping fee.  No coins required.

There was a washer/dryer available, sort of, there's a signup for its use and I was second, ended up delaying laundry day to another day.

The shower was nice though.  The weather was temperate and it was pleasant walking back to the URRV afterwards from the nearby shower building.

Mellow place, full of snow birds who stay there all winter.

Price was right for my campsite: $8.

Had a pretty good sunset, you'll not I didn't even bother unloading Scarlett from the trailer as I was just overnighting at this spot.






Dec 12

Broke camp and rolled out the RV park early and arrived at the La Posa South LTVA or Long Term Visitor Area for BLM camping.  Not exactly free though as you pay for access to dump stations, water, garbage dumpsters.  I paid the $40 for a 14 day stay.  You can stay September 15th to April 15th (a total of 7 months) for $180.


There's actually a lot of RVs in the area and even in my vicinity, just not that close as there's plenty of space to give each other room.

I'm not going to stay here the whole 14 days, I'm meeting up with Martha and Patrick on the 23rd in Las Vegas.  

Spent the rest of the day working and just relaxing.

Near sunset, I drove down AZ 95 south towards the Kofa Wildlife Refuge but stopped way short of its entrance to Palm Canyon.  

Instead, I found a forest road headed towards the hills and rock formations visible from the highway, to the east.

Somewhere near Crystal Hill
which I hope to explore a path to, tomorrow

Last bit of Sunset back at the La Posa South LTVA

Got back to the LTVA as it darkened and missed a turn or two to get back to my campsite but found it with no major issues.

4 comments:

RichardM said...

The Quartzfest ham radio "convention" is a few miles south of there on 95 according to their flyer. I hear that the Quartzite area gets pretty crowded with RVs. How is the cell signal?

The rustic RV park sounds like a bargain as long as you aren't pressed for time.

redlegsrides said...

Cell signal was crap when I first got there, problem with the cell tower ‘s internet connectivity I think because I was getting thee bars with the booster. Got better in the afternoon, didn’t really need booster. Not too crowded now, lots of RVs but lots of space, January is when it gets crowded I read.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers?
My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing a few months of
hard work due to no backup. Do you have any solutions
to prevent hackers?

redlegsrides said...

Anonymous I don’t use Wordpress so not sure what security mechanisms they offer.