Friday, September 13, 2024

T'Dubing to Ophir Pass and Fall Colors are Starting to Show!


Thursday, September 12

Cool and windy day today, not much writing got done but for a picture of these mountains that one can see from the summit of Molas Pass:

Silverton

Turk Head and Grand Turk
from the Molas Pass Summit

The windy conditions coupled with the puny 198 cc engine on my TW200 precluded writing today, she has enough trouble on the steep portions of US 550 without adding headwinds into the equation.

Friday, September 13

This morning I rode Yagi, my TW200 Dual Sport to the summit of Ophir Pass.  This was after checking with the Forest Service to ensure it was still open; that time of the year you know.

Seen just north of Silverton:


Which one do you prefer in this scene: Landscape or Portrait mode?


Yagi did great on the rocky/gravelly surface of County Road 8 which takes one to the summit of the pass.  You can take this road all the way to Telluride but I turned around shortly after the summit.

Just past the Ophir Pass Summit

The requisite sign shot

Heading back down towards US 550




As one nears the northern end of Silverton, there's a road that leads one to the Christ of the Mines Shrine:


Although still early there was a spot or two where one can see Fall Colors already present and glowing in the sun.  I expect more to follow of course over the next couple of weeks.



I spotted a small road near the above grouping of trees, that lead to a plot of land that is for sale.  I ventured down the path:




I found a carved out flat area with power already run to it!  It had an awesome view of the town of Silverton.  It's on sale folks, for a mere $575,000!

I got back to camp just before 12:30 and the plan is to rest up the rest of the day.  Managed to get my back/right kidney area twinging with pain, I'm pretty sure it was because the camera bag was hanging off my back/right hip all morning.  The pain seems to have gone away after I switched the bag to be off my left hip.  Getting old, it's not for the weak.

Stay tuned for more Fall Colors as it appears in this area.

6 comments:

CCjon said...

That's it, I'm going to sit back in a comfortable chair, cue the symphony and dream with all your gorgeous fall photos today..., and in the coming weeks.
BTW, love the landscape reflection photo.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks for the nice comments CCjon, that reflection shot worked out nicely didn't it?

RichardM said...

Portrait mode on that one photo. Beautiful colors!

Oz said...

The landscape photo is great. I love the Aspens colors. SW Colorado is a beautiful area. Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Oz, I'll see what I can do. :)

redlegsrides said...

Thanks, RichardM.