Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Now Boondocking in the San Juan National Forest, near Molas Pass

I left the campsite on Fawn Gulch Road soon after 9 and by 1130 had lucked into a nice campsite after a couple of unsuccessful recons.

Little Molas Campground, free site run by USFS was full and the sites were small.

About two miles after Molas Pass, I glimpsed a camping area sign as I drove past. Turning the VRRV around, found a turnout which allows safe entrance down a slightly steep gravel road.

2-3 grassy areas near the highway and one site which proves almost prime that I grabbed! There were more sites on the other side of the hill too.



The mountain is part of Grand Turk Mountain

After lunch and before the afternoon thunderstorm which included pea-sized hail; I went for a ride on Yagi.

I wanted to check out the facilities provided by the Molas Lake campground nearby. Turns out you can get water there for free but no dump tanks which is fine for me.

I had emptied the gray/black tanks in Pagosa Springs as I passed through. No potable water there at the dump station but since I can get water at the nearby campground, I'm good. I will be tapping into the reserve water cans by tomorrow.

The site I am at has no cell signal, so Starlink will be my link to the world.

It rained off and on till about 3PM or so. I then strapped two empty water cans onto Yagi along with a water hose and rode the mile or so to the Molas Lake Campground.

Empty Cans

Full Cans

I really strapped things down with not only a ratchet strap but a cam buckle strap as well as two ROK straps. The water run went well, no issues. Basically, I'd added a 86 lb. passenger to Yagi.

Now I'm all set for water for the next 14 days. Once the sunny weather returns, I hope to get some riding in for pics and mapping other campsites.

The Fall Colors transformation hasn't started yet down here in SW Colorado...

4 comments:

CCjon said...

And Dom scores another great camping spot. Love the views. Hunker down and wait for the colors.

Oz said...

Awesome views! I bet it's a good deal cooler also.

redlegsrides said...

I shall, CCjon, and maybe work in some mountain views too.

redlegsrides said...

Oh yes, definitely cooler, it was 44° outside when I woke today