Friday, November 17, 2023

A Visit to Ajo, a Missile Launcher and a Sunset

 We woke to foggy conditions early this morning after a rainy night.


The fog would burn off by 9AM:


Martha and I drove the CR-V south to the town of Ajo for a quick tour by car, and to pick up some groceries.

The Immaculate Conception Catholic Church always draws my eye:




The arches at the Town Plaza:


Martha found an old picture of the old train depot.  Here's what it looks like today:


photo by martha
1931

After lunch back at camp, I took Yagi, my TW200 out for a ride to the missile launcher site.  I think it's used as some kind of training aid by the USAF.  There's some kind of radar/guidance rig nearby to simulate being "painted" by enemy SAM sites perhaps.


The launcher and missiles are fake of course


Martha did some more cross-stitching while I read an eBook the rest of the afternoon.

Here's tonight's sunset.  Pretty good.






pano by Martha

4 comments:

Coop a.k.a. Coopdway said...

That is a beautiful building! I'm imagining the counteracting the weight on that sideways tank has to provide for the thrust of one of those rockets. On a slope bet it would slide long before it toppled.

Lovely horizons!

SonjaM said...

Love the shot with the cactus, Dom. So beautiful.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Coop, I bet it'd be quite the sight when they let off the missiles!

redlegsrides said...

Danke SonjaM! It came out fine as the subject eh?