Monday, January 31, 2022

Back in Arizona near the BANWR: Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge.

Spent yesterday driving through New Mexico along the I-25 Super Slab and ended the day under gray skies.

I would end up spending one night only as I was fleeing the cool weather that was plaguing the area for the next few days.

Today, Monday the 31st of January, I spent the day driving to Arizona using the I-10 Super Slab.  Made stops for gas in Lordsburg, NM and got water for the fresh water tank in Willcox along with topping off the propane tank.

Fog-covered Truth or Consequences

Things got progressively warmer and sunnier as I progressed into Arizona!

Got to a campsite next to the Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge, located about an hour or so south/southwest of Tucson on AZ 286.  I've been in the area before on other camping trips and its pretty close to the Mexican border.

It's also along the somewhat narrow strip of "warmest weather" for Arizona.  Even then, it's supposed to be somewhat cooler next week or so as another cold front moves through!


That's Baboquivari Peak to the left of the VRRV

I took Scarlett, my 2014 Ural Sidecar Rig to the nearby group campsite where I'd camped before for pics under mostly cloudy skies:



And then the sun came out, that and some post-processing resulted in this version:


I hope to spend at least a week if not two at this location, exploring the area further than ever before.


4 comments:

RichardM said...

We were wondering how long it would be before you needed to get out of populated areas…

redlegsrides said...

Had to time my escape in between snow storms, RichardM. Forecast says there's a big one next day or so, I'll probably see a little rain at most.

Steve Williams said...

The fog over Truth or Consequences is beautiful. That would be enough to draw me away. A growing loathing for crowds of people might be even more powerful. Looking at your photos I feel a sense of freedom from the thrum of life in the midst of urban and suburban civilization.

I'm also reminded that I still haven't posted anything about your visit here last fall. Geez, I'm so far behind...

redlegsrides said...

Steve, the fog really had a magical quality to it. My present location is providing plenty of isolation from people so it's all good.