Tuesday, February 01, 2022

Sunrises and Sunsets as Omens....

 You've probably have heard or read this expression:

"Red sky at night sailors delight; red sky in the morning sailors take warning"

I'm near the Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge and the above expression came to mind as I thought about the photos I took today.

I googled the expression and found this:  LINK (in case you're seeking perhaps for the science behind it)

Here's the sunrise today which started this train of thought, it was quite a nice sunrise I might add.  The temperature was a balmy 44°F (6.66°C) so not very cold as I stood there framing the shots.






The sun rises above the hills to the east

Baboquivari in the first minutes of the sun's rising 
above the eastern hills.

The rest of the morning and all afternoon looked mostly like the below picture.  So perhaps the omen of a red sunrise was accurate?  

Spent the morning chasing down a wiring issue involving the tail lights for the trailer.  Turned out to be a broken wire (my fault) when I'd earlier last month inserted a wooden support under the fresh water tank.  Anyways, I spliced in a bypass wire, all good.

Spent the afternoon in the VRRV, reading mostly.

Sunset was also pretty good, which hopefully presages good weather tomorrow.  I've my doubts you see as Storm Landon slams into the Midwest and points east.  The next couple of days here will see temperatures in the low to mid 50s at best, not the Arizona I'd been hoping for, but this too shall pass by the weekend.



At times, it looked like a huge wild fire on the
other side of the hills to my west.

6 comments:

Steve Williams said...

Grand views of a sweeping landscape around your encampment. Reading that you spent most of the afternoon reading seems a perfect way to spend some time.

I need to read more.

RichardM said...

Nice sunrise photos. I think the phrase had more meaning when weather moved west to east. Now with the changes in the jet stream it’s more likely NW to SE or SW to NE. But still generally west to east…

It’s seems odd now for you to have the Ural…

redlegsrides said...

Steve, glad you like the views. Thanks for the feedback.

redlegsrides said...

RichardM, if seeing me with the Ural is weird it just means I spent way too much time last year with the Sammy.

SonjaM said...

Spectacular! As a hiker I take these weather proverbs always into account. (plus I do check the weather app on my iPhone). Better safe than sorry. In German we call these omens 'Bauernregeln', which translates to 'farmers' rules'.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks SonjaM, "farmer rules" I like that!