Sunday, February 06, 2022

Hiking up near the top of Baboquivari Peak

Friday, February 5.

Didn't do much riding, but did get a 5 mile or so hike in to pass the time.  Not much else got done except reading in the VRRV and doing a quick ride with Yagi to the "Mormon Corral".  Nothing to report there, just the expected corral hardware/fencing used to process cattle when needed.

Saturday, February 6.

Rode Yagi over to the Baboquivari Peak Ranch's gate where there is a small amount of trailhead parking.  Hiking access, per the sign on the gate, is the only access granted on what is private land owned by the Baboquivari Peak Ranch.

The trail, such as it is, it not maintained and there is a plethora of spine bearing vegetation bordering the trail so wear suitable clothing!  Also, the trail isn't really well marked at its beginning so the chances for losing the trail are actually pretty good.  

Further on, the trail starts to be better marked with pink tape hanging from tree branches and bushes along with small rock cairns giving you guidance.  But yeah, the beginning of the trail, isn't well marked and I lost time both going and coming back.

I started at 11:20 AM and by 13:15 I was as close to the top of the saddle terrain feature next to the Baboquivari Peak.

I believe that small ledge, which is visible from camp, is the one where I photoshopped a picture of Yagi, a couple of years ago or so, for an April Fool's Day joke.

April Fool's Day 2020

View of the top of Baboquivari Peak, see the small bush
on the ledge on the right?

Zoom view of the small bush 

This is what I could see, via zoom, of the top of the peak

another view of the peak, from the furthest point up
up the trail that I achieved.

I stopped, when the trail basically seemed to end on
steep rocky surfaces, not safe for me to do alone.

The view down Thomas Canyon which is what the 
trail borders, following the creek bed formed eons ago.

This is a view down from the furthest point I made,
it was a bit steep you might say.

Coming down was actually slower than coming up, taking about an hour more than the ascent took!  Lots of friable rock which caused me to slip and fall four times, the first time being the worst.  My coccyx isn't very happy with me right now, but am hoping the Vitamin I (Ibuprofen) will help things.

I'm very happy that I brought along the hiking poles that Martha normally uses when hiking!  I wouldn't have been able to get back down without them!  The shoes I had one were running shoes, totally unsuitable to the hiking conditions!

A view of the peak from a bit further down, perhaps
halfway from the furthest point and the creekbed?

Once I was back at creek bed level and approaching
the ranch buildings, one final shot of the peak.

Finally made it back to Yagi at the trail head, I was beat!  Geared up and although I did manage to drop her once on some moss (I think) at the creek close to the gate; managed to ride back to camp with no further issues.

I think, tomorrow is going to be a R&R day, rest and recuperation!

2 comments:

SonjaM said...

Looks very dry. Did you have to carry a lot of water with you?

redlegsrides said...

Very dry SonjaM, though there was a small amount of running water in the creek bed in parts. I carried a small thermos of water, could have used more.