Saturday, January 29, 2022

Back in New Mexico

 Today, after being home since the 20th of December last year, I hit the road once again seeking warmer climes.

We've had two good snow falls in the last week or so in the cesspool that is the Metro Denver area.  We got perhaps 4 inches of snow each time in my home neighborhood.  Here's how things looked on Friday this week (yesterday):


I got going after a slight loop to return some library books by 9:45 AM and by 13:30 PM I had arrived at the Maxwell National Wildlife Refuge.  Located near the small town of Maxwell, NM; its a small refuge whose main feature is a large lake created by a dam.  Not much else, it's surrounded by prairie terrain and the birds I saw were geese only.



The turnaround loop next to the campsite row

Campsite Row

Can you spot Umarang on the far shore of the lake?

I'm just spending one night here, making my way further south tomorrow and eventually being close to the border with Mexico where it should be warmest; for this time of year anyways.


7 comments:

CCjon said...

Our paths just might cross this time. Am leaving for California next Tuesday, taking I-10 & I-8 to Long Beach, CA, then heading down into Baja. Will be stopping to see friends in Tucson next Thursday.

Wanted to check out the Imperial Sand Dunes you recommended too. Will be storing the truck & trailer in Brawley, continuing on the rest of the trip on three wheels. Figure that's quieter, safer and cheaper than anything in Long Beach.

redlegsrides said...

Sounds like quite the adventure, CCjon!

Coop a.k.a. Coopdway said...

On the road again...lucky you! I'll be watching, travel (and ride) safe.

SonjaM said...

Nice! New updates from the road. Looking forward to seeing the sun. Safe travels, Dom.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks SonjaM, am finally near the Mexican border today and in Arizona. Post being worked on.

Steve Williams said...

Whenever I feel crowded into a narrow form of winter existence I look to your adventures to crack through the suffocation. The photograph of the RV loaded with URAL and TW reminds me of something in a well-provisioned wagon train circa 2022.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your journeys. They're the tonic I need.

redlegsrides said...

Thank you Steve and happy to be of service. I hope the Himalayan is providing wondrous smiles and rides already.