Tuesday, August 03, 2021

Westward, Ho! Day 6: Lazy day in the Seven Points Recreation Area

 The day started early enough, I drove out on the Sammy to explore the other campsites and gauge the facilities provided by the COE (Corps of Engineers).  Every campsite is 95% full, resulting in a crowded looking conditions.  Most of the campers appear to be from Pennsylvania, so locals who've discovered the good deal that a COE campground can be.

There was fog in the higher grounds:



I talked with a park ranger who recommended I go check out the wild birds at the boat ramp located at Shy Beaver.  Such an interesting name, I decided to go!

The actual site was a bit disappointing, all I saw were the ducks below and crowded conditions at the boat ramp parking lot.  Oh well.



Heading back (it was a good ten miles from the campsite), I stopped at a convenience store near Entriken to gas the Sammy up and get some eggs.

I returned to camp, it was mid-morning by now.  I went for a short hike but found nothing worthy of snapping a picture of, just wide open views of the water with boaters cruising about in a haphazard manner.   Apparently, Raystown Lake is Pennsylvania's largest lake and attracts 1.1-1.3 million visitors a year, I think most of the on boats!

Typical of a COE campground, it helps to have a boat to get around.  

I basically read/napped the afternoon away after lunch.  I woke close to 5 PM!  Tomorrow, I plan on meeting with Steve, of Scooterinthesticks.  Should be fun, we'll get a ride in, perhaps check out the Raystown Dam area, perhaps get a lunch.


2 comments:

RichardM said...

I’m sure you had a good meetup with Steve. An interesting person.

redlegsrides said...

Indeed, RichardM! More soon...