Thursday, August 19, 2021

Westward, Ho! Day 22: Rocktown Trail

 Last full day of camping today.  

Tomorrow, I drive the six hours or so back to my home in Colorado and into the arms of my loving family.

This assumes they remember me, of course.

Spent the morning hiking to a set of rock formations called Rocktown, using the trail with the same name.

Some details about this trail:


I took the trail that led off to the right, not sure if its shorter than the left branch....the sign says its 2.75 miles to the rocks.  Easy hike, the cloudy skies kept most of the sun's rays off me, and soon enough I was seeing the rocks by the water:


As a bonus, there's a small swimming beach by the rocks with a nice sandy bottom.  Perfect way to cool off from the hot hiking.  

These rocks were quite nice and colorful, though I had to wait at times for the sun to break through the clouds to illuminate them well.





Flying in a small swarm, there were what I think are Swallows.  They flit about, sometimes landing on rock crevices and where I could see evidence of mud-based nests.




This one looks like he's annoyed at having his picture taken

I had the place to myself for over an hour, and thoroughly enjoyed the solitude.  Alas, hikers did appear, coming at me from the left branching trail.  So I left before they arrived, letting them have the place to themselves.

Made my way back to the Sammy with no issues, encountering a couple more hikers heading in towards the rocks.  

Returned to camp, had lunch and just whiled the afternoon away sitting in the lounge chair and finishing another e-book.  Enjoying one last lazy afternoon before returning home and all that entails.  

I'm looking forward to it!  Not to the six hour drive but being home, at least for a while anyways.

2 comments:

RichardM said...

If looks like the water level is down somewhat. Is the area having a drought?

redlegsrides said...

RichardM, it did look lower than normal but heard nothing re drought.