Thursday, August 12, 2021

Westward, Ho! Day 15: Camping by the Mark Twain Lake, near Perry, Missouri

 Driving day today, not too bad, less than four hours in spite of Google Maps two attempts to sidetrack me....

I drove the VRRV from near Sullivan, IL via mostly I-72, to the Ray Behrens COE campground/recreation area situated along Lick Creek; which feeds into Mark Twain Lake.

The loop my campsite is located in was almost empty when I arrived, only one other camper (of course he's located somewhat close to my spot).  As I type this, two more rigs have arrived and also a pontoon boat has been parked on a concrete pad next to me, not too close but yeah.

I'll be here till Monday morning when I continue my way westward, and will be in Kansas Monday night if all goes according to plan.


I expect I'll see more rigs and campers show up for the weekend.  Oh well.  I did do a sort ride on Yagi to explore some of the other campgrounds, I'd say the whole place is at perhaps 30-40% capacity at most.

Oh and yes, I plan on visiting Mark Twain's birthplace but not the museum in Hannibal depicting where he grew up.  

4 comments:

RichardM said...

It doesn't look or sound too crowded. But then again, it's getting to be the end of summer and school is back in session for some.

redlegsrides said...

It's starting to fill up RichardM....

SonjaM said...

Season's over soon, Dom. Just a bit more patience and you will be on your own again. I fully understand your desire to get away from crowds.

redlegsrides said...

Your probably right, SonjaM....