Sunday, August 08, 2021

Westward, Ho! Day 11: Now in Illinois, near Sullivan

 I displaced from Wright-Patterson AFB at 8:22 AM and four hours later I was crossing the state border into Illinois.  No real issues encountered except some confusing to me signage around Indianapolis that cost me a few miles due to wrong turn.

There's apparently a bridge out on I-65 and somehow that's affecting traffic using I-70.  

Now in the Central Time Zone so I gained an hour, woohoo.  I was setup by 3PM local time and once again camping in a Army Corps of Engineers (COE) site next to Shelbyville Lake.  The site I got is actually a pull-through with electric hookup.  No water but it's nearby and sewer is at the common dump station near the fee station.

Not much else to report, having electric power for running the air conditioner is definitely nice.  I was able to bear it while at WPAFB but it wasn't that enjoyable with the humidity.

Here's a pic of my site, the place is about 80% full I think and the sites are a bit closer to each other than I'd like but what can you do right?

I will be here till Thursday, just relaxing as I meander my way back to Colorado.  The nearest town is Sullivan, IL where I hope to get a couple of errands done.  Otherwise, no tourist attractions planned in terms of rides/drives.

I did exercise Yagi, my Yamaha TW200 a bit exploring the campground.  Found a couple of promising spots for sunset pics, but today's sunset is blocked by thick haze or perhaps its smoke, either ways, no sight of the sun as it sets.

7 comments:

CCjon said...

You should be able to get fresh sweet corn in that part of the country. Strawberries too. Any farmer's markets near by?

redlegsrides said...

Once in awhile I see stands on the side of the road where they are selling sweet corn and such, I haven't stopped at one yet.

RichardM said...

I hear that the smoke from fires is pretty bad in CO. Or that was the report from some folks around Colorado Springs. Fresh sweet corn sounds like a good reason to stop!

redlegsrides said...

You and CCjon must be assuming I can actually cook corn on the cob....

CCjon said...

Grill the corn on the cob over charcoal, add a little butter, chili powder or cajun spice... delicious

RichardM said...

Aluminum foil and tie it to the muffler for the TW and ride around for a bit...

redlegsrides said...

CCjon and RichardM, you two seem bound and determined from keeping me from a spam-centric diet....now if the wood in the campsite hadn't gotten soaked yesterday.....I might even try it. As to using the T-Dub as a cooking device, it reminds me of using the jugs on a Ural to do cooking.