Tuesday, August 14, 2018

RV Camping in Seward, NE

After reluctantly leaving the East Sutherland WMA ( it was such a nice spot), I explored other WMAs as I headed east on I-80 and parallel county roads.

Didn't find any, among the four I checked, that compared to East Sutherland and one apparently didn't exist as I ended up intruding on private property.  Probably the way the Waze GPS app routed me but there you go.

So I drove on, through a pretty heavy rain storm which washed away the dust accumulated on the vehicles while exploring WMAs but soaking the bag containing the solar panels box.  I'm beginning to think the concept of carrying them in the trailer under the parked rig might need more work.

Found a spot in a camp ground in the city of Seward, NE.  The city bills itself as The Fourth of July City since its known for its festivities on that holiday.  I found a standard small town, with the county seat right in the center square:


Seward is also home to Nebraska's Concordia University:


and finally, the last thing that caught my eye was the steeple tower belonging to the Saint Gregory the Great Seminary that one can see as one rides into town from the south:


The campground has electric power but no water.  There is a common use dump station nearby which I'll use tomorrow morning on my way out.  Doing good on water so the lack of it at the campground was no big deal.

It's nice to have power though.  Too overcast for the solar panels and I didn't want to run the generators you know?

I did manage to clumsily trip over my tripod's legs as I was moving about the campground though.  Tweaked some muscle(s) in my lower right quadrant of my back, right above the right hip. 

I asked Martha to bring the Flexaril which I managed to not pack.  Martha is flying in this Friday into St. Paul, MN and driving down to Holmen, WI where I will meet her and where the family reunion will take place Saturday afternoon.

Tonight's camp site....I chose to not include
the other RVs and trucks nearby.  

Perhaps its just me, but the campground wouldn't have been first choice.  Not crowded but some of the units here look a tad "decrepit".  Oh well, it's only for the night.

5 comments:

RichardM said...

I found that small city campgrounds like that are usually a good deal. But usually not too bad. We set up in one near the BC border than I realized that all our water tank was almost empty. They did have a water spigot on site but it looked questionable.

redlegsrides said...

Completely agree re city parks being usually a good deal....it just seemed some of the people had been there “a while”

RichardM said...

If you want to see “a while” try the Whitehorse Walmart. Some of those trailers have wood stove stacks and no wheels...

Coop a.k.a. Coopdway said...

One of the richer (to me) parts of travel is that there are places with different priorities and our American plains highlight that. You're near the "Bohemian Alps", one of my favorite parts of Nebraska. A former Poet Laureate lives nearby and understands the area very well.

redlegsrides said...

Bohemian Alps eh? Not seeing it but will google.