Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Boondocking at the Badger Creek State Park, Iowa

Finally got across the long and rather boring state of Nebraska, at least, from the confines one has when transiting the state using the I-80 Superslab!

Made it just short of Des Moines before calling it a day in terms of driving.

Found a really nice spot among several which were less level, in the paved sites that comprise part of the Badger Creek State Park.  Not sure it's officially maintained anymore as the pavement's cracks are overflowing with very tall weeds but it's free!

There's also a boat launch area where there's a pit toilet for the boaters but the spot I picked remains empty except for yours truly as I type this at 9:25 PM.  Good stuff.  Loving the solitude.  Occasionally, a car passes by checking the site out, but they move on.

 View of the water reservoir from the campsite

 Nearby flowers

 Absolutely no shade.....and it was a hot day too...
even cranked up the AC for a bit while eating.

Sunset proved rather mild, when compared to yesterday in Nebraska.  Still, it had some color and some interesting clouds to light up.

 Sunset at the campsite

 Sunset near the boat launch


Back at the campsite, a view of the last cloud to be illuminated

As I finished typing this post, I can see someone is shooting off fireworks near the boat launch.  Sigh.  Then again, it's probably those three pickup trucks with youths I saw earlier, guess you gotta find the fun where you can in the middle of Iowa on a weekday.

I think I will stay here one additional day, I've got 300 miles to go to get to Holmen, WI and I'm not due there till sometime on Friday.

4 comments:

VStar Lady said...

Beautiful sunsets as usual Dom. I see you plan to meet up with Coop. What a great adventure you are on. Just how Far East are you planning to venture.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks VStar Lady but no further than Holmen, WI this trip, I hope to go back west via North Dakota and maybe Banff if doable within time constraints.

RichardM said...

It really does look hot! But the price is right. I remember passing through Iowa but don’t remember much besides miles and miles of corn.

redlegsrides said...

There’s no shortage of corn in either Iowa or Nebraska!