Monday, January 26, 2009

Steam from road, yet still a frozen visor.....

OK, so we got barely a half inch of snow overnight here in the Denver Metro Area. All this morning, we had sunlight helping to clear the roads if not the grassy areas. By noon the roads were clear enough to ride, heck I could see steam coming off the pavement as the sun caused the melted snow to sublimate. The forecast had been for accumulations of 1-3 inches by the afternoon commute, don't think it'll happen around where I live anyways.

The steam coming off the pavement looks pretty cool actually considering my house's external thermometer read 14 degrees!

So I went out for a short ride, pavement was pretty much dry, what water I encountered was just that, ice.

The onboard thermometer registered 8.5 degrees as I rode. It was a very short ride, less than 20 minutes because it turns out at those temperatures my visor was covered quickly with frozen breath remnants. Not just fogging, it was FROZEN. Had to ride home actually with the visor cracked open and freezing my face. This condition occurred in spite of a fresh coating of "cat crap" on both my glasses and the visors on the helmet!

Still, short as it was, it was good to get out for a little bit. Working from home and attending work conference calls is not the most exciting thing in the world. This ride on the other hand, got my adrenalin going for sure. A new personal low in terms of temperatures I've ridden in as well.

Needless to say, without the strong sunlight hitting the area, it would have been icier and more of a folly to ride!


Jack Riepe said...

Dear Charlie6 (Dom):

I'm a little edgy these days as I haven't ridden in almost two and a half months. And the way things are going, we are looking at the middle of February before Fireballs is going to get rolled out of the driveway.

I admire your desire to ride everyday. But there are days when I am content t just read a good motorcycle magazine.

Fondest regards,
Twisted Roads

redlegsrides said...

Jack, thanks for checking in....looking back on it, I should have waited one more hour....

I hope your estimate of not being able to ride until mid-feb proves pessimistic....


Anonymous said...